ancient agave cultivars farther south

Use this forum to announce, discuss, and review literature, preferably print, relevant to our xeric gardening interests.

Moderator: DesertDweller

dkruz
Rhizome

ancient agave cultivars farther south

Post by dkruz »

I've found Ron Parker's book "Chasing Centuries' very interesting and informative. Especially the emphasis on some agave cultivars. So I'm wondering if there is a similar book with a similar focus but covering Mexico and other places like central America. Anyone know of books on that?
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Re: ancient agave cultivars farther south

Post by Gee.S »

This is actually a very different subject south of the border, since agave cultivation never really stopped. There are numerous papers out there, but the only book of which I am aware that broaches the subject in some detail is Gentry.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Papahuel
Offset

Re: ancient agave cultivars farther south

Post by Papahuel »

To me the closest thing I've read "south of the border" that is similar in terms of the ethnobiological aspect is "Alcohol in ancient Mexico" H Bruman, while it was first published in 2000 it was largely based off the author's field work done as a young man in the 1930's before the native peoples had been further diluted by the modern world and while agave was not the only genus mentioned it was featured fairly well.