Palo Verde in my Greenhouse. Really ?

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to xeric plants, which do not fit under any of our established categories, or to discuss issues of a general nature that bear relevance across multiple categories.
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Palo Verde in my Greenhouse. Really ?

Post by Jkwinston »

For the last ten years I have tried to grow this plant in London without success. Surprisingly, in the last three years I have managed to keep my one skinny plant alive, in a small pot. Yesterday it surprised me, and produced a small flower splash which I definitely did not expect. Now I know it can be done I will have to decide how best to keep it going. JKw
Manor Park LONDON
Manor Park LONDON
IMG20230620122913.jpg (246.03 KiB) Viewed 2339 times
Manor Park LONDON
Manor Park LONDON
IMG20230620122923.jpg (323.51 KiB) Viewed 2339 times
Manor Park LONDON
Manor Park LONDON
IMG20230620123025.jpg (284.96 KiB) Viewed 2339 times
Gafoto
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 7b

Re: Palo Verde in my Greenhouse. Really ?

Post by Gafoto »

I do love the ‘Desert Museum’ Palo Verde but don’t think I can grow it this far north. Honey Locust is a less interesting substitute. Perhaps I should give it a try, the Italian Cypress I planted last year survived an absolutely awful winter and they are almost never a recommended plant here in Northern Utah.
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Post by Jkwinston »

Gafoto wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:47 am I do love the ‘Desert Museum’ Palo Verde but don’t think I can grow it this far north. Honey Locust is a less interesting substitute. Perhaps I should give it a try, the Italian Cypress I planted last year survived an absolutely awful winter and they are almost never a recommended plant here in Northern Utah.
I am also shocked that mine survived this last winter, as I lost so many other plants. I used to think Palo Verde should be easy to grow, but here in the UK the combination of wet weather and freezing cold is always deadly. Jkw
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Post by mcvansoest »

Aside from being violently allergic to Palo Verde pollen I can only express bad experiences with these trees - especially the Desert Museum hybrid - yes they look fantastic especially when in full flower. However, cleaning up that flowering mess is an absolute nightmare (even if you are not allergic). The second issue is that it is a particularly soft wood, so especially the large growing varieties have serious issues standing up to any kind of storm. At my old place (a rental) it started out with three good sized DM PVs and throughout the 10 years we lived then, all got blown over in a variety of ways. If not properly removed they will grow back quickly only to just repeat the blown over cycle.

I admire them from a distance, but will never voluntarily grow them.
It is what it is!
Tom in Tucson
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Tom in Tucson »

mcvansoest wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:41 pm Aside from being violently allergic to Palo Verde pollen I can only express bad experiences with these trees - especially the Desert Museum hybrid - yes they look fantastic especially when in full flower. However, cleaning up that flowering mess is an absolute nightmare (even if you are not allergic). The second issue is that it is a particularly soft wood, so especially the large growing varieties have serious issues standing up to any kind of storm. At my old place (a rental) it started out with three good sized DM PVs and throughout the 10 years we lived then, all got blown over in a variety of ways. If not properly removed they will grow back quickly only to just repeat the blown over cycle.

I'm not a fan of Parkinsonia 'Desert Museum' or one of the trio of assumed species responsible in it's creation: Parkinsonia aculeata, I do like 2 species: Parkinsonia microphylla and Parkinsonia praecox. (the former being my favorite). The natural hybrid between these 2 is appropriately called Parkinsonia x sonorae and is found only in the Sonoran desert.

BTW, palo verde trees often get blamed for causing hay fever (even my doctor blamed them), but the pollen is not spread by the wind (too large), and is almost exclusively spread by flying insects.
Casas Adobes, AZ
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Post by mcvansoest »

Tom in Tucson wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:52 pm BTW, palo verde trees often get blamed for causing hay fever (even my doctor blamed them), but the pollen is not spread by the wind (too large), and is almost exclusively spread by flying insects.
When I still lived in a yard where I had to clean up the flower debris, I got contact rash. When you are dealing with an inch or two thick layer of discarded flowers from three trees you can only do so much to not get in touch with them, so I am pretty sure it was the PV pollen, but you are right that they are not a walk by and start sneezing plant for me, that is reserved for the desert sage, lol.

I think they are very pretty and the smaller growing true species would be my preference if I ever was forced to grow them again, but it appears that at least in the area here, if you go out to buy a PV, you almost without exception end up with one of the hybrid monsters and I would avoid those at all costs.
It is what it is!
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Post by Jkwinston »

mcvansoest wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 1:41 pm Aside from being violently allergic to Palo Verde pollen I can only express bad experiences with these trees - especially the Desert Museum hybrid - yes they look fantastic especially when in full flower. However, cleaning up that flowering mess is an absolute nightmare (even if you are not allergic). The second issue is that it is a particularly soft wood, so especially the large growing varieties have serious issues standing up to any kind of storm. At my old place (a rental) it started out with three good sized DM PVs and throughout the 10 years we lived then, all got blown over in a variety of ways. If not properly removed they will grow back quickly only to just repeat the blown over cycle.

Very interesting Thijs, your comment, as for me they were always a great challenge on this side of the pond. I have never seen a live tree here in the UK, and for that reason it is fun trying to grow them. One of the mistakes I made was to opt for this urban existence which generally restricts the plants that I could put in the ground. I would gladly have experimented with these plants even in the countryside. I once tried cuttings to no avail, but it is still great to have this baby tree growing. Jkw
Tom in Tucson
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Tom in Tucson »

mcvansoest wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 1:11 pm
Tom in Tucson wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 12:52 pm BTW, palo verde trees often get blamed for causing hay fever (even my doctor blamed them), but the pollen is not spread by the wind (too large), and is almost exclusively spread by flying insects.
When I still lived in a yard where I had to clean up the flower debris, I got contact rash. When you are dealing with an inch or two thick layer of discarded flowers from three trees you can only do so much to not get in touch with them, so I am pretty sure it was the PV pollen, but you are right that they are not a walk by and start sneezing plant for me, that is reserved for the desert sage, lol.

I think they are very pretty and the smaller growing true species would be my preference if I ever was forced to grow them again, but it appears that at least in the area here, if you go out to buy a PV, you almost without exception end up with one of the hybrid monsters and I would avoid those at all costs.
Parkinsonia microphylla is easy and fast from seed w/o any special treatment. Parkinsonia praecox is also easy, but you'll need to scarify them first to achieve the same sprouting time.

BTW, don't buy either of these seeds on line, most seem to be hybrids.
Casas Adobes, AZ
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

I tried P. aculeata here. I planted it as a healthy 2ft plant, it grew quickly and well into a 4ft plant that flowered then it died during it's first mild but wet winter. Plenty of other, more hardy, wispy desert trees to grow so I won't try again.