Can some one identify this on Agave!?

Use this section to discuss matters relating to any and all issues involving horticultural pest and disease management. This is where one posts unknown pest/damage photos for ID help.
hastediscipline
Rhizome
USDA Zone: Z9

Can some one identify this on Agave!?

Post by hastediscipline »

someone told me it wasnt agave mite which is a relief but would like to know what it is.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (349.81 KiB) Viewed 1527 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (309.34 KiB) Viewed 1527 times
fo-76<br />black redish dots
fo-76
black redish dots
image.jpg (468.69 KiB) Viewed 1594 times
BB
BB
image.jpg (388.69 KiB) Viewed 1594 times
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Re: Can some one identify this on Agave!?

Post by Gee.S »

Sideways pics removed.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt

Post by Melt in the Sun »

Hi hastediscipline, welcome to the forum! Our admin hates sideways photos with a burning passion.

I don't have experience with the rusty fungus (?) you're seeing - but it seems to be spreading among your plants so something's definitely going on. Can you tell us your location (Z9 I see) and are these growing outside, in a greenhouse, etc.? I agree it is not agave mite.
hastediscipline
Rhizome

sorry about the sideways photo im going to take them the right way.

im in LA, CA so im guessing Z9 Z10 also there grown outside, no greenhouse.

dont know if you were able to see the lions mane and kissho kan agaves, the only thing also that was close to it that ive found something called anthracnose fungus.

thats why im here ive been looking everywhere and cant seem to find the exact issue with them or how to treat them
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

hastediscipline wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 6:49 pm sorry about the sideways photo im going to take them the right way.

im in LA, CA so im guessing Z9 Z10 also there grown outside, no greenhouse.

dont know if you were able to see the lions mane and kissho kan agaves, the only thing also that was close to it that ive found something called anthracnose fungus.

thats why im here ive been looking everywhere and cant seem to find the exact issue with them or how to treat them
Treat with any number of commercial fungicides, but the scarring is permanent, and will not improve. The larger issue is that this only occurred because your agaves are not happy with cultivation conditions. Agaves are not normally prone to fungus infections when happy and healthy. So it's important that you adjust conditions more to their liking. That might entail arranging for more sun and less moisture.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

hastediscipline
Rhizome

thanks! i think my watering might be wrong?
what do you recommend?
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

It is critically important to let all succulents, including agaves, dry COMPLETELY between waterings. I don't know how much you're watering, so couldn't say whether that is the issue. Another critically important and closely related aspect is whether your agaves are planted in a fast-draining substrate. If not, they could be staying wet for long periods between waterings, which agaves really don't like. If you want to see what's up, pick up a cheap moisture gauge, something like this: Plant Water Meter for Garden Lawn Farm Indoor & Outdoor Use
Agave