Wanted Agave Blue Glow Pups. Trade..

Use this forum to list your haves and wants. Commercial posts welcome. If you have some interesting offerings, we want to hear about it!

Moderator: Melt in the Sun

nsp88
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8a

Re: Wanted Agave Blue Glow Pups. Trade..

Post by nsp88 »

Gee.S wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:25 pm
nsp88 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 4:00 pm
Gee.S wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:24 pm

Well, that WAS the "funky looking come back". Not funky enough?? LOL
Ha, guess you got me there.

Okay so that leads to another question or two. Say I leave these pups, will they keep the same roots as the parents and be the "same" plant. Or will the parent rot and the pups grow new roots through the decaying parent plant?

And/or if I pull these pups, no new leaves will form? so it will eventually die from old leaves withering and no new leaves for new chlorophyll?
Your cored agave did not produce offsets, it generated new growth points. It just happens that most agaves aren't very good at generating new growth points (compared to yuccas, for example), so this is the best they can do. You can snap them off to start new plants or leave them, and they will take over the root system of your old plant. If you snap them off, your cored agave may try again, if it has enough left in the tank.

As an aside, not all agaves are monocarpic, and these polycarpic agaves are just the same -- after blooming they produce new growth points (axial branches), which you can leave or separate to start as new plants.
Awesome, thanks for the clarification. I didn't know if they qualified as axial offsets or not.

I was planning on snapping them off once their growth slowed down. Unless op shows up again and wants one, I might just snap one off to grow normal and leave the other to see how it goes for myself.
nsp88
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8a

Re: Wanted Agave Blue Glow Pups. Trade..

Post by nsp88 »

So the larger of the two new growth points has really taken off, but the smaller hasn't grown at all. Found that interesting. You can barely see it on the right of the larger new growth point squeezed between it and the old leaves.

PXL_20240509_165314666.jpg
PXL_20240509_165314666.jpg (408.12 KiB) Viewed 54 times

Additionally, after watching a pdn video on crosscutting and hearing gee mention something along the lines of having enough gas in the tank, I decided to crosscut the original core a month or so ago just to see what happens. Nothing so far. We will see.