Hey there! New to forum

Welcome to Agaveville! Please stop in and tell us a little bit about yourself and your gardening interests.
Okiram
Rhizome
USDA Zone: 9a

Hey there! New to forum

Post by Okiram »

Hey everyone!

My name is Okiram and I live in Tucson Az and I discovered the obsession that is Agaves and Aloes this past year!
I have, in a very short time, acquired these:

Agave Vilmoriniana
Victoria -Reginae
Lophantha reg and quad
Blue Glow
Bracteosa
Colorata
Macroacantha
One I'm not sure of that looks like it may be a Yucca
variegated type
Parryi
Salmiana
Weberi
One that looks like a "Mr Ripple"
And recently some Titanota pups that just rooted!

None of them are adult specimens and most I got as pups. I'm always up for trades and constantly looking for new varieties that I don't have! Looking for:

Agave Montana
Attenuata
Blue Flame
Bovicornuta
Gypsophila
Horrida
Isthmensis!
Mitis
Ovatifolia!
Shawii
Utahensis
And so many more!!!

As I mentioned earlier, I'm obsessed! And despite my husband's protestations, it doesn't appear to be going anywhere anytime soon :lol:

So... being new to the forum...and I mean, really new! Like, joined right before I wrote this! I haven't had time to see whether trades or discussing acquisition of agaves is frowned upon. So, if it is, I apologize!
If it isn't, I would very much love to make some connections!
Thanks for your time! those that made it to this part!
And I look forward to hearing back from anyone!
Have a great day!
Tom in Tucson
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Re: Hey there! New to forum

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Welcome neighbor. You've joined the best forum for those interested in Agave, and many other worthwhile plants to grow which are similar!
Casas Adobes, AZ
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Post by mcvansoest »

Welcome! Talking trades and acquisitions is completely fine. Many of us have exchanged/bought/sold plants from each other over the years. There is a specific forum for posting wants and availability.
It is what it is!
nsp88
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8a

Post by nsp88 »

Okiram wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:07 am
So... being new to the forum...and I mean, really new! Like, joined right before I wrote this! I haven't had time to see whether trades or discussing acquisition of agaves is frowned upon. So, if it is, I apologize!
Trades are allowed, and there is a spot on the forum just for that:
wanted.JPG
wanted.JPG (166.41 KiB) Viewed 1503 times
(and I have a small attenuata I'd be willing to trade before the super cold weather gets here)
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

I could also help you but I’m in the wrong place....

Nevertheless, welcome!
NMABQAgave
Rhizome
USDA Zone: 7a

Post by NMABQAgave »

Okiram wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:07 am So... being new to the forum...and I mean, really new! Like, joined right before I wrote this! I haven't had time to see whether trades or discussing acquisition of agaves is frowned upon. So, if it is, I apologize!
If it isn't, I would very much love to make some connections!
Hey Okiram,
I'm not sure the DM system is working on this site. Check your DM. I'd be willing to do some trades with you.
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt

Post by Melt in the Sun »

Welcome to the forum! Tucson's a great place for agave and a decent one for aloe, though I wish it were better for the latter group. If you haven't already, schedule a visit over at Starr Nursery (@agavegreg).

How much space and how much shade do you have? Some on your list are very large, and some others are pretty wimpy and will need decent shade and frost protection in the winter.
Okiram
Rhizome

Post by Okiram »

Melt in the Sun wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:56 am Welcome to the forum! Tucson's a great place for agave and a decent one for aloe, though I wish it were better for the latter group. If you haven't already, schedule a visit over at Starr Nursery (@agavegreg).

How much space and how much shade do you have? Some on your list are very large, and some others are pretty wimpy and will need decent shade and frost protection in the winter.
Hey there!
Thanks for your response! I have quite a bit of both at the moment! Living on almost 2 acres (for about 8 years now) in central Tucson... which is pretty rare. But that's temporary as the property is being sold 😭 Scheduled to move around May. That said, I should probably not be getting something like Ovatifolia 🤣 but I just can't help myself! It's one of my faves!
Okiram
Rhizome

Post by Okiram »

I forgot to mention that ALL my plants, agaves included, are in pots. And I could surely use some bigger and better ones! But because I knew about the property being up for sale way in advance, I was able to start my obsession in pots instead of having to transplant everything.
So... while it's not ideal, I believe it is doable to still grow most of what I am looking for in pots. At least the cold intolerant ones will be much easier to move around!
Tom in Tucson
Ready to Bolt

Post by Tom in Tucson »

Okiram wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 9:57 am I forgot to mention that ALL my plants, agaves included, are in pots. And I could surely use some bigger and better ones! But because I knew about the property being up for sale way in advance, I was able to start my obsession in pots instead of having to transplant everything.
So... while it's not ideal, I believe it is doable to still grow most of what I am looking for in pots. At least the cold intolerant ones will be much easier to move around!
I think only a couple might need any more winter protection than being under a typical patio cover.

Ii your moving from your currently most desirable property, I'm curious how large you think your new location might be. I suppose if a milder location is more important to you than a large one, the more sensitive ones are worth investing in now. Whatever your criteria are, I hope that you will be blessed with fertile, well drained soil, and find a safe, attractive residence. Do me a favor and post a few images before and after you find suitable planting locations for your collection. I look forward to find out what you select in May.
Casas Adobes, AZ