Winter,again @#%&*!

Discuss any and all issues that don't fit neatly into one of our other forum sections.
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Winter,again @#%&*!

Post by Stan »

Been pretty mild for lows so far. Frost free with the rest of the year predicted to be cloudy and with rains on and off. Missed a 10b winter last year by a night or so,this could be the year.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
mickthecactus

Re: Winter,again @#%&*!

Post by mickthecactus »

Been a pretty benign winter here too. No cold spell yet to write home about but plenty of time for that all to change.

A few years back I can remember March being the worst month of the winter.
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

Give it a chance. It's only seven days old.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Post by Meangreen94z »

Yeah you jinxed me Stan, It was mild until you posted. Now nothing but borderline freezing temperatures every night and a mix of rain.
Austin, Texas
Gafoto
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 7b

Post by Gafoto »

Definitely feels like a weird El Nino winter so far. I’ve been in Tucson for December and some records got broken and/or tied when we were in the low 80s a couple weeks ago.

Salt Lake has been freezing regularly but barely into the teens. Still got Jan/Feb to get through and then the likely threat of really cold weather will pass. It’s also been fairly dry which is great news for the plants. The combo of cold and wet late into the spring scuttled some of my cactus from flowering. If the general trend continues it’s going to be a good year for things to establish and get their feet under them.
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

This might be the mildest December on record. On the 19th we even had a low of 60f. Tonight ,54f after a day of 65f. Those are a foggy summer day temps. The foreseeable for January pretty much the same AND with rains. The warm is not because of drought conditions.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Very mild here too, so far. We visited the forest on Christmas day, elevation 6,000. There was no snow and I ended up in a tank top after warming up on the trail. Visited again today and at least there was a slight dusting but as you can see barely enough to make a snowball.
Attachments
20231231_164257.jpg
20231231_164257.jpg (544.56 KiB) Viewed 1753 times
Gafoto
Ready to Bolt

Post by Gafoto »

Naturally the moment I pack up to leave Arizona the weather really turns in SLC. Looking quite chilly over the next week. Things are about to get rough!
IMG_4124.jpeg
IMG_4124.jpeg (191.15 KiB) Viewed 1704 times
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

Been very wet in the UK with a lot of flooding in the West.
gave_agave
Offset

Post by gave_agave »

Indeed, lots of flooding here in the UK, but looks like it might be dry for the next 10 days or so, and a little colder, with possibly some light freezing at night here in Oxfordshire.

Not as cold as the US NW, this guy predicts temps in the negative Fahrenheit and possibly down to -40C (= -40F) there, and is even mentioning the possibility of snow in coastal California, Vegas and Phoenix.
It's likely going to be less cold, but there is some cold coming.

https://twitter.com/RyanMaue
edds
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: A wet 8b!

Post by edds »

mickthecactus wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:10 am Been very wet in the UK with a lot of flooding in the West.
And the East Midlands, well my bit of it anyway in Nottinghamshire! Fortunately I live up a hill so not affecting my house!
Nottingham, UK
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Melt in the Sun »

First freeze of the year coming for us, and hovering around freezing for most of the next week or so. Moved in the adeniums and a couple very sensitive agave, and my wife covered the tomatoes and peppers...trying to get a heavy spring harvest out of those!
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

January here to be colder than December but maybe only down to the high 30's. Today's photo of the Firesticks and friends.
Attachments
IMG_5304.JPG
IMG_5304.JPG (271.51 KiB) Viewed 1643 times
IMG_5302.JPG
IMG_5302.JPG (484.61 KiB) Viewed 1643 times
IMG_5301.JPG
IMG_5301.JPG (558.65 KiB) Viewed 1643 times
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

The last two mornings have been near freezing but the local banana plants still are green. Ice on the windshield had to be hosed off. Withy days getting longer its looking to be a "safe" winter if not 10b...10a again.
I see Arizona is getting colder and looking like for the rest of the week.
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt

Post by Meangreen94z »

We are predicted to see 20°F next Monday, if not lower. Atleast there is no precipitation predicted between now and then.
Austin, Texas
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

It’s cold. Just about freezing point or just above. A little snow this morning.
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Post by mcvansoest »

Hit 33F this morning.. of course the night after some solid rain.. Decided to leave the Christmas lights up on the cacti a week longer just to provide that extra bit of warmth around the plant.

And our heating went out... Got some extra firewood cause they won't have the part till tomorrow.. could still run the heat pump but it is on the roof and it sounds like it is going to come down through it...

So my yard still looks like Christmas.
273B6980-8EF6-455C-B73E-B791CC456D36_1_105_c.jpeg
273B6980-8EF6-455C-B73E-B791CC456D36_1_105_c.jpeg (436.03 KiB) Viewed 1537 times
It is what it is!
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt

Post by Meangreen94z »

Another cold winter. Dallas showing 11°f Monday night, we are predicted to see 15°F, but the temperatures are dropping every few hours. It looks similar to December 2022 when we saw 12°F.
Austin, Texas
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

One more night into the high 30's ,maybe the last of the year, and then into the 40's and 50's. IF the long range holds up.Rains Wednesday and Saturday. Space out so no flooding so far. Pretty good winter.
Gafoto
Ready to Bolt

Post by Gafoto »

Meangreen94z wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:45 am Another cold winter. Dallas showing 11°f Monday night, we are predicted to see 15°F, but the temperatures are dropping every few hours. It looks similar to December 2022 when we saw 12°F.
I’m beginning to think this is every year in Texas.

Utah avoided the worst of the polar vortex that is sliding down the east side of the rockies but we are about to get an atmospheric river followed by 13 degrees on Monday night so it will get pretty chilly here. If things look exceptionally wet/heavy I may have to cover some things up. I’ll never get anything established if they are always getting creamed their first winter in the ground by insane weather. The high mountains here are predicted to get 5-8 feet of snow.
nsp88
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8a

Post by nsp88 »

Gafoto wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:52 pm
Meangreen94z wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 5:45 am Another cold winter. Dallas showing 11°f Monday night, we are predicted to see 15°F, but the temperatures are dropping every few hours. It looks similar to December 2022 when we saw 12°F.
I’m beginning to think this is every year in Texas.
It sure seems to be the way it is now
mcvansoest

Post by mcvansoest »

My backyard thermometer hit 28F last night. It has been a while since it got that cold here. Not so cold tonight, but another night of at or below freezing in the forecast on Thursday....
It is what it is!
mcvansoest

Post by mcvansoest »

Well, here is to me being so discombobulated that I was off by a day on the forecast, tonight is supposed to be the milder ie. well above freezing night, last night was down to 28F again... 31 on the official forecast but woke up to 28F... not the end of the world. I am done protecting plants - most of those that might need it are already dead or under protection anyway.

However 2 nights in a row well below freezing has not happened for me in a few years....
It is what it is!
Gafoto
Ready to Bolt

Post by Gafoto »

mcvansoest wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 10:35 am Well, here is to me being so discombobulated that I was off by a day on the forecast, tonight is supposed to be the milder ie. well above freezing night, last night was down to 28F again... 31 on the official forecast but woke up to 28F... not the end of the world. I am done protecting plants - most of those that might need it are already dead or under protection anyway.

However 2 nights in a row well below freezing has not happened for me in a few years....
I’m just hoping for two days that can get above freezing in the next week :lol:

I would say I’m done protecting plants but the agave with moisture covers are looking great so far this winter. Dealing with coverings is a pain in the butt so they’ll have to be some rewarding plants to do it every winter.
edds
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: A wet 8b!

Post by edds »

We seem to have avoided a proper frost so far during this 'cold' spell in the UK here in Nottingham. Not had to scrape my car once yet while we flirt with minus centigrade temperatures overnight.

Will be interesting to see if we get a proper cold spell in spring as we have in a number of mild winters but I do feel large parts of the UK could be on the verge of having almost frost free winters soon (until the Gulf Stream shuts down that is...)
Nottingham, UK