Calotropis procera

Discuss any and all issues that don't fit neatly into one of our other forum sections.
Xanthoria
Ready to Bolt

Calotropis procera

Post by Xanthoria »

I just got back from the Sahara and being terribly bad brought home some Calotropis procera seeds because who doesn't want a giant poisonous plant commonly known as the Apple of Sodom in their life?

Anyway, it's listed as zone 9-11 and that works for me, but germinating seeds the web says to keep them in the 75-85 degree range. How long will I need to maintain this heat? Would it be better to wait until Summer to start them?

"Calotropis procera seeds can be germinated using a few straightforward steps. Start by scarifying the seeds lightly with sandpaper or by soaking them in hot water for 24 hours to break their hard outer coating. Prepare a well-draining potting mix, such as a combination of sand and compost or a cactus mix. Plant the seeds about 1/4 to 1/2 inch deep in the soil and lightly cover them. Maintain a warm temperature around 75-85°F (24-29°C) and ensure the soil remains consistently moist but not waterlogged. You can cover the pot with a plastic lid or use a small greenhouse setup to maintain humidity. Germination might take a few weeks to a couple of months. Once the seedlings emerge, gradually expose them to more sunlight. Consistency in warmth, moisture, and patience in the germination process are crucial for Calotropis procera seed germination success."
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Re: Calotropis procera

Post by Meangreen94z »

My experience with seeds is when in doubt wait for warmer weather. I’ve rotted a number of seeds/seedlings due to the boredom of winter.

A friend of mine has Calotropis gigantea down in South Texas, although they weren’t grown from seed.
9A183582-7547-4CF8-8110-44BE8339DDC1.jpeg
9A183582-7547-4CF8-8110-44BE8339DDC1.jpeg (419.13 KiB) Viewed 794 times
Austin, Texas
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

Xanthoria wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:53 pm who doesn't want a giant poisonous plant commonly known as the Apple of Sodom in their life?
It's as good a reason as any. I grow Thapsia garganica mainly because it has the common name 'Deathly Carrot' which nudges it ahead of other similar umbellifers.
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

Sounds exactly like the requirements for Adansonia digitata.
Btw, that could go in the Apocynaceae gallery.
Xanthoria
Ready to Bolt

Post by Xanthoria »

Meangreen94z wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:30 pm My experience with seeds is when in doubt wait for warmer weather. I’ve rotted a number of seeds/seedlings due to the boredom of winter.
Same!
Xanthoria
Ready to Bolt

Post by Xanthoria »

Here’s a pic for tax
IMG_3930.jpeg
IMG_3930.jpeg (366.09 KiB) Viewed 743 times