Wanted: Berberis fremontii and/or trifoliolata

Use this forum to list your haves and wants. Commercial posts welcome. If you have some interesting offerings, we want to hear about it!

Moderator: Melt in the Sun

jam
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 7a/b

Wanted: Berberis fremontii and/or trifoliolata

Post by jam »

I am in search for plants or seeds of Berberis (Mahonia) fremontii and trifoliolata. Please let me know if you have any available or know of any source (which ships to the EU).
Setting up a Chihuahuan laboratory.
nsp88
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8a

Re: Wanted: Berberis fremontii and/or trifoliolata

Post by nsp88 »

I learned about trifoliolata last year through joining some native plants groups. Plan on getting some this year. If I start with seeds I will try to get some extra to send you. Who knows if they'll actually make it through customs. I will come back here and see if anyone replied or not when I get some.
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Post by Meangreen94z »

jam wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:42 pm I am in search for plants or seeds of Berberis (Mahonia) fremontii and trifoliolata. Please let me know if you have any available or know of any source (which ships to the EU).
Alplains has Berberis fremontii, and will ship to EU if you discuss it with him. I’m not sure on the technique/ duration to germinate them. I attempted them in a hurry with no success and moved on due to a number of seed projects. I want to try again. Berberis trifoliolata grows in Central Texas and there are some extremely blue variants just west of here. Collecting seed is about timing it right, I’ll see if I can collect them early summer.
Austin, Texas
jam
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 7a/b

Post by jam »

@nsp88 thanks for your offer.

@Meangreen94z thanks Daniel. I did remember you mentioning Alplains but this sentence on their web site stopped me from contacting them: Please be advised that we can no longer ship to most countries including the E.U. due to the requirement for a Phytosanitary Certificate which we do not provide. I will drop them a message and see what they have to say.
Setting up a Chihuahuan laboratory.
edds
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: A wet 8b!

Post by edds »

Would love some trifoliolata seed in the UK as well if anyone manages to collect some or see any for sale.

We don't need a phyto to import non-restricted seeds to the UK, for now!
Nottingham, UK
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

Yes, me too.

I have germinated home-grown Mahonia russellii seeds before now after a winter's cold stratification outside. Although a Mexican species it isn't as xeric so maybe it works differently for trifololiololiololata. :)
nsp88
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8a

Post by nsp88 »

I asked the native plant swap Facebook group, just in case anyone had some stored. No one yet, but someone said they're starting to make buds so in about 3 months there should be lots of seeds available. If meangreen can't get those blue ones then I should be able to get some regular ones from that group. @edds If someone from the states mailed seeds to you, would you then be able to mail them on to Europe without phyto or is that a lost privilege since brexit?
edds
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: A wet 8b!

Post by edds »

nsp88 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 10:35 am@edds If someone from the states mailed seeds to you, would you then be able to mail them on to Europe without phyto or is that a lost privilege since brexit?
Not legally at the moment but who knows in a few months time!
Nottingham, UK