Wanted

Use this forum to list your haves and wants. Commercial posts welcome. If you have some interesting offerings, we want to hear about it!

Moderator: Melt in the Sun

I-75South
USDA Zone: 7

Wanted

Post by I-75South »

Looking for Yucca Rostrata pups?
OWgave
Ready to Bolt

Re: Wanted

Post by OWgave »

Depending on your price range, there are a couple of small y. rostrata on Etsy and EBay.

Good luck on your search.

OWgave
"My worst fear is, when I die, my wife will sell my agaves at the prices I told her at what I got them for" :frown:
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

I've never seen a Y. rostrata pup. If they offset at all, it's news to me.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Fairview
Offset
USDA Zone: 8

Post by Fairview »

Nor have l, however I do have a small Y linearifolia that has somehow managed to sucker. Like to know why/how so I could get my other ones to do the same.
Mckinney, Texas. 30 Miles North of Dallas. What I'm trying to grow: A ovatifolia: whales tongue, frosty blue, vanzie, sharkskin, parrasana, montana, parryi JC Raulston, Bellville, Bluebell Giant, havardiana, polianthiflora, parviflora, havardiana x neomexicana
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

Fairview wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:54 pm Nor have l, however I do have a small Y linearifolia that has somehow managed to sucker. Like to know why/how so I could get my other ones to do the same.
Y. brevifolia offsets prodigiously, but I haven't heard of successful separations. Some Yuccas are very fussy beasts compared to most agaves.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Fairview
Offset

Post by Fairview »

Gee.S wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:00 pm
Fairview wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:54 pm Nor have l, however I do have a small Y linearifolia that has somehow managed to sucker. Like to know why/how so I could get my other ones to do the same.
Y. brevifolia offsets prodigiously, but I haven't heard of successful separations. Some Yuccas are very fussy beasts compared to most agaves.
I would like to be able to encourage suckering to create a multi-trunk appearance. One of my 4' linearifolias has 2 growing points. Hard to see at the moment but is definitely there. Should be more noticeable after this year with a bit more growth.
Mckinney, Texas. 30 Miles North of Dallas. What I'm trying to grow: A ovatifolia: whales tongue, frosty blue, vanzie, sharkskin, parrasana, montana, parryi JC Raulston, Bellville, Bluebell Giant, havardiana, polianthiflora, parviflora, havardiana x neomexicana
Gafoto
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 7b

Post by Gafoto »

Gee.S wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:00 pm
I pulled one off the base of my plant which is about 2’ tall. It survived the summer and seems to be ok this winter.

I wanted to keep a nice clean appearance but it decided to push out a new sucker in the exact same spot this fall. :roll:
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

Growing conditions over this side of the puddle are different, I know, but over here with Yucca linearifolia you can pretty much take to the bank that cutting the top off will generate a number of suckers from the base. Certainly it is what it does in habitat and is the principal way it is propagated as it apparently rarely sets seed*. In one location the trunk actually crawls along the ground and offsets arise from along the side, which is weird.

Not as dependable but I've seen a few occasions when the main crown of Y. rostrata has been damaged and it has re-grown 1 or 2 heads from the roots.

*On one occasion we stayed for a couple of nights in a rather magnificent hotel just outside Saltillo - prime Yucca linearifolia country - and there were several magnificant specimens within the ground of the hotel. Thinking I had discovered a good source for seeds I asked the owner, who happened to speak perfect English, how often they set seed. She asked the gardeners, who told her that the plants never did but were spread via the 'hijos' (children!) which is how they referred to the offsets. :cool:
Fairview
Offset

Post by Fairview »

Paul S wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:18 am Growing conditions over this side of the puddle are different, I know, but over here with Yucca linearifolia you can pretty much take to the bank that cutting the top off will generate a number of suckers from the base. Certainly it is what it does in habitat and is the principal way it is propagated as it apparently rarely sets seed*. In one location the trunk actually crawls along the ground and offsets arise from along the side, which is weird.

Not as dependable but I've seen a few occasions when the main crown of Y. rostrata has been damaged and it has re-grown 1 or 2 heads from the roots.

*On one occasion we stayed for a couple of nights in a rather magnificent hotel just outside Saltillo - prime Yucca linearifolia country - and there were several magnificant specimens within the ground of the hotel. Thinking I had discovered a good source for seeds I asked the owner, who happened to speak perfect English, how often they set seed. She asked the gardeners, who told her that the plants never did but were spread via the 'hijos' (children!) which is how they referred to the offsets. :cool:
I don't think I will be taking my chainsaw out anytime soon to conduct that experiment.