Agave Disease Wildfire - mites or necrotising?

Use this section to discuss matters relating to any and all issues involving horticultural pest and disease management. This is where one posts unknown pest/damage photos for ID help.
agavetreat
Rhizome
USDA Zone: 9a

Agave Disease Wildfire - mites or necrotising?

Post by agavetreat »

Hello everyone -- I had the opportunity to review and get myself familiar with the list of diseases and pests agaves can face. I have a few agaves I have planted outdoors, and I have noticed some rather odd characteristics. The agaves were planted outside in a row. I want to get your thoughts on what is affecting them. I believe its grease mites. If so, what treatments would you recommend. Please consider I am in CA and can not purchase some of the options.

This is what originally my agave nickelsiae and agave victoria looked like when received.
agave nickelsiae when first received.
agave nickelsiae when first received.
photo_2024-02-19 12.55.09.jpeg (170.74 KiB) Viewed 760 times
nickelsiae and victoria first received
nickelsiae and victoria first received
photo_2024-02-19 12.55.14.jpeg (199.75 KiB) Viewed 760 times
For the agave nickelsiae I noticed the core of it has "blackened" with ugly orange like streaks that resemble those of agave mite damage. Searching online, I have not yet seen mites attack nickelsiae, however I am wondering if this is what the "grease" marks look like on nickelsiae when affected with agave mites. Thoughts?
agave nickelsiae core with orange lesions and black core
agave nickelsiae core with orange lesions and black core
photo_2024-02-19 12.59.11.jpeg (246.39 KiB) Viewed 760 times
agave nickelsiae close up of the blackened core
agave nickelsiae close up of the blackened core
photo_2024-02-19 12.57.43.jpeg (265.05 KiB) Viewed 760 times
agave nickelsiae closeup of orange lesion part 1
agave nickelsiae closeup of orange lesion part 1
photo_2024-02-19 12.58.10.jpeg (210.46 KiB) Viewed 760 times
agave nickelsiae closeup of orange lesion part 2
agave nickelsiae closeup of orange lesion part 2
photo_2024-02-19 12.58.00.jpeg (189.53 KiB) Viewed 760 times
My agave victoria is exhibiting similar yet slightly different traits. It instead had its foliage change to a light green color. The base appears to be developing red purple spots. It has ugly orange lesions, especially on the bottom near the core.
agave victoria with large lesion at the bottom
agave victoria with large lesion at the bottom
victoria-underbelly-lesions.jpeg (134.73 KiB) Viewed 760 times
agave victoria top view
agave victoria top view
victoria top view.jpeg (159.23 KiB) Viewed 760 times
agave victoria discoloring and circle blight
agave victoria discoloring and circle blight
victoria discloring and circle blight.jpeg (211.9 KiB) Viewed 760 times
agave victoria close up view of base
agave victoria close up view of base
victora close up view of base.jpeg (147.09 KiB) Viewed 760 times
agavetreat
Rhizome

Re: Agave Disease Wildfire - mites or necrotising?

Post by agavetreat »

Next to them I did notice the altman parryi (artichoke agave) that I bought show a lot of grease stains. Its likely this is what may have spread it to the surrounding plants.
artichoke with mild orange lesion and grease stain
artichoke with mild orange lesion and grease stain
artichoke mild orange lesion with grease stain.jpeg (114.97 KiB) Viewed 757 times
artichoke close up grease stain with orange lesion
artichoke close up grease stain with orange lesion
artichoke close up grease stain with orange lesion.jpeg (118.09 KiB) Viewed 757 times
artichoke grease stain
artichoke grease stain
artichoke grease stain.jpeg (111 KiB) Viewed 757 times
The artichoke seems to me to have clear symptoms of mites, which is leading me to believe the king and queen agave are suffering some form of it. Thoughts, opinions and solutions?
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

A. parry is definitely harboring mites, not so sure about the others, tho agave mite does manifest in unusual ways at times. I would treat them all without a doubt, along with anything else in the vicinity.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
agavetreat
Rhizome

Post by agavetreat »

Gee.S wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:27 pm A. parry is definitely harboring mites, not so sure about the others, tho agave mite does manifest in unusual ways at times. I would treat them all without a doubt, along with anything else in the vicinity.
Thank you Gee. Any suggestions on a miticide I can apply? I assume spray every 4 weeks? The links on the forum that i tried were expired or not allowed in CA.
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Abamectin is the least expensive translaminar miticide. You would need to spray once per week. Other miticides are monthly, but far more costly.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

agavetreat
Rhizome

Post by agavetreat »

Gee.S wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:23 pm Abamectin is the least expensive translaminar miticide. You would need to spray once per week. Other miticides are monthly, but far more costly.
Looks like its banned from being shipped in california. Will visit local homedepot to find something. There was organic miticide advertised that uses peppermint oil, and rosemary oil. Not sure if you have had success with those?

Also, how do you know the application of the miticide is working? Do the grease stains disappear or they harden? Thanks
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

You won't find anything at HD. It isn't enough to be rated for mites, it must be rated for eriophyid mites. Look for "Forbid miticide" online. If miticides aren't available in CA, you may need to destroy the plants.

Nothing will reverse damage done. Just look for new healthy, symptom free growth. It may take a while.
Agave

Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

You need a drench or spray with the active ingredient bifenthrin, spiromesifen, spirotetramat, carbaryl or abamectin. Forbid 4F and Avid are two trade names that are a little more common. No, these are not sold for home use in CA. They require a pest control applicators license because of the toxicity to people and wildlife, especially amphibians, birds (hummingbirds) and insect pollinators. If you search enough online stores, including Amazon and eBay you will eventually find someone who will ship to you. Read or look up the actual label thoroughly before using. Because of the mite life cycle, multiple treatments are needed.

No, organic treatments with herb oils absolutely are not going to be effective with this pest. The nickelsiae doesn't really looks like mites to me, but they have now been exposed by your parryi and all your agaves should be treated. The way you know the treatment has been effective is when new growth is consistently clean. The previous stains and lesions remain until they grow out completely. It's a slow process.

Altman's is kind of notorious for selling infected plants as are big box stores and many nurseries that sell agaves and aloes. It's frustrating since the problem gets passed to home owners who don't recognize the symptoms when buying and don't have easy access to effective treatments. But all of us who love agaves eventually learn how to deal with this pest.

@Gee.S as a side note some aloe growers are using acephate/orthene as a systemic drench for aloe specific eriophyid mites (along with excising any galls) and swearing that it clears them in one treatment. It's a water soluble powder that isn't rated for eriophyids specifically but is listed for treatment of galls and all kinds of nasties, sometimes referenced in the same breath as bifenthrin, carbaryl and other heavy hitters. It is affordable and sold in smaller quantities so I ordered some for scale, which it's supposed to be very effective at eradicating. I don't have any eriophyid infected agaves but have been wondering about it since it's more accessible.
Fairview
Offset
USDA Zone: 8

Post by Fairview »

@Azuleja I wonder if Fipronil would work? Active ingredient in Frontline for fleas and ticks. It is not labeled for mites but I used it on my show chickens. One app and it kept them mite free for over a year.

It is also the active ingredient in many pesticides to control fire ants and mole crickets in the lawn and landscape.
Mckinney, Texas. 30 Miles North of Dallas. What I'm trying to grow: A ovatifolia: whales tongue, frosty blue, vanzie, sharkskin, parrasana, montana, parryi JC Raulston, Bellville, Bluebell Giant, havardiana, polianthiflora, parviflora, havardiana x neomexicana
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Fairview wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:52 am @Azuleja I wonder if Fipronil would work? Active ingredient in Frontline for fleas and ticks. It is not labeled for mites but I used it on my show chickens. One app and it kept them mite free for over a year.

It is also the active ingredient in many pesticides to control fire ants and mole crickets in the lawn and landscape.
Fire ants, mole crickets, fleas, ticks and poultry mites are not at all analogous to eriophyid mites so I'm going to say no.