U of Arizona Agave Mite Grant

Use this section to discuss matters relating to any and all issues involving horticultural pest and disease management. This is where one posts unknown pest/damage photos for ID help.
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

U of Arizona Agave Mite Grant

Post by Gee.S »

Caught this little blurb on FB:

"A Specialty Crop Block Grant from the Arizona Department of Agriculture will enable University of Arizona researchers to study the biology, transmission, seasonality, host range and management of the agave grease mite. Results from this project will inform nurseries and landscape managers so they can take appropriate and effective measures to manage and control the spread of the pest".

This is great news, let's all hope for a positive result! I am in touch with folks engaged in this study and hope to provide what small assistance I might toward a positive outcome.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
JoyinAlb
Bulbil
USDA Zone: 7b

Re: U of Arizona Agave Mite Grant

Post by JoyinAlb »

That is wonderful news. I’m interested for sure.
bigdaddyscondition
Ready to Bolt

Post by bigdaddyscondition »

First time I've heard the name "grease mite." It's descriptive.
Samhain
Offset

Post by Samhain »

Be good if they did this with snout weevils. Been watching them spread last few years.
15F-110F. 14” annual rainfall. 8b. 3000’
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

Samhain wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 9:30 am Be good if they did this with snout weevils. Been watching them spread last few years.
Snout weevil issue is nothing new. The tequila and mescal industry has been dealing with it for generations. I sincerely doubt there is anything new to learn on that front.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"