Trichocereus pachanoi

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Cacti genera too plentiful to enumerate. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: mcvansoest

Andrew in Germany
Seedling

Trichocereus pachanoi

Post by Andrew in Germany »

Just received one cutting in the post from this German grower. https://kakteenshop.lophophora-williams ... -50cm.html
It looks great, no roots obviously but in good shape and it’s on its way now in its new pot.
I’m sure there are many of you out there with experiences you might want to share here. Especially in terms of cold wet conditions.
Andrew
Attachments
IMG_1689.jpeg
IMG_1689.jpeg (269.03 KiB) Viewed 583 times
IMG_1691.jpeg
IMG_1691.jpeg (359.29 KiB) Viewed 583 times
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Re: Trichocereus pachanoi

Post by Paul S »

I am sure in a hotter, drier climate than here they are quite tough, here not so much. I have a spinier form than this at the base of my south house wall that has done best, but it is in a premium position. It took a little damage in my worst winter, which was a low of -8C and 2 weeks below freezing. Further out in the garden in my new rubble bed I have one of these spineless forms, and a similar T. scopulicolus, and both were quite damaged the December before last. The scop I think might be dead, the pachanoi sprouting from where the damage ended. My feeling is that there are better, more garden worthy subjects is space is limited.
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

Too hot and dry for them here, tho they do OK if planted under large trees or other reliable shade sources.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Post by mcvansoest »

I grow this and agree with Gee.S needs significant shade to thrive, but then ends up not looking its best. Mine gets morning to mid day sun and then sees a good amount of shade in the mid-late afternoon.

While I hear these are supposedly pretty fast, for me it has been a slow grower. In the heat it enjoys relatively frequent water, but the kind of heat I am talking about is something you do not (yet?) get in Germany.
It is what it is!
Andrew in Germany
Seedling

Post by Andrew in Germany »

Thanks for your posts. The temps in high summer hover around 85 to 100 f. The rest of the growing season around 60 -75f. Then winter kicks in around end of Nov and it's all over till around March.
I think for the time being I'll keep it in a pot till I've got a few more sticks off it.
The list of winter hardy columnar cacti available to me here is very short, so I'm happy to have found another that was affordable.
coz
Seedling
USDA Zone: Unknown

Post by coz »

A nice specimen that are pretty hardy, like water in summer, not as faster growing as the pc, which apparently their are less of in Europe.