Ever have a plant become variegated or any other mutation?

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to xeric plants, which do not fit under any of our established categories, or to discuss issues of a general nature that bear relevance across multiple categories.
nsp88
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8a

Ever have a plant become variegated or any other mutation?

Post by nsp88 »

Has anyone ever had a plant that became variegated or produced a variegated offset? Or any other mutations? If so, what plant, what size was it, and was it variegation or some other mutation?
edds
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: A wet 8b!

Re: Ever have a plant become variegated or any other mutation?

Post by edds »

I've had seedlings of some Echinopsis cacti and also some Geranium species come through variegated. The Echinopsis have retained it so far, the geranium didn't survive.

I've not had a spontaneous somatic mutation occur in an otherwise non-variegated plant but it does happen.
Nottingham, UK
meridannight
Offset

Post by meridannight »

No. I have got variegated plants from seed only so far. They're rare but I think that seed variegation happens a lot more often than spontaneous mutations that result in variegated plants.
Species I'm growing from seed: Agave nizandensis, Agave difformis, Agave parryi, Agave schidigera, Aloe alooides, Aloe manandonae, Aloe dhufarensis, Aloe barbara-jeppeae, Hyophorbe verschaffeltii, Kerriodoxa elegans, Johannesteijsmannia altifrons, Chrysalidocarpus leptocheilos, Licuala grandis.
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

I had an Echeveria agavoides for 10+ years that suddenly went cristate for no apparent reason. Over the next few years it ended up looking like a piece of coral which in a dry, frost-free climate would have been nice. Here all those folds and convolutions ended up trapping the wet and it just went rotten. I should have dug it up and stuck it on eBay!
westfork
Offset
USDA Zone: 4b/5a

Post by westfork »

Maybe. I received a pup of an A. gracilipes that started to show subdued mid leaf stripes as it matured. I thought it might have been a lophantha but the seller didn't even have any of those and the pup was cut from an old gracilipes with nothing striped nearby. And probably no striped agave could take his winter temperatures unprotected.
Siouxland: USDA Zone 4b/5a & heat zone 6/7. Extremes at our farm: 108 F to -38 F.
Arid grassland with dry sunny winters, moderate summers, 27" annual precipitation.
Gafoto
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 7b

Post by Gafoto »

westfork wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:34 am Maybe. I received a pup of an A. gracilipes that started to show subdued mid leaf stripes as it matured. I thought it might have been a lophantha but the seller didn't even have any of those and the pup was cut from an old gracilipes with nothing striped nearby. And probably no striped agave could take his winter temperatures unprotected.
Agave gracilipes is Agave lechuguilla x parryi v. neomexicana (sometimes crossed back and forth a bit). Lechuguilla often has a mid-stripe so it’s not terribly shocking to see it passed on.
westfork
Offset
USDA Zone: 4b/5a

Post by westfork »

Gafoto wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:24 pm
westfork wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:34 am Maybe. I received a pup of an A. gracilipes that started to show subdued mid leaf stripes as it matured. I thought it might have been a lophantha but the seller didn't even have any of those and the pup was cut from an old gracilipes with nothing striped nearby. And probably no striped agave could take his winter temperatures unprotected.
Agave gracilipes is Agave lechuguilla x parryi v. neomexicana (sometimes crossed back and forth a bit). Lechuguilla often has a mid-stripe so it’s not terribly shocking to see it passed on.
Thanks, I didn't think of that trait in the lechuguilla side of the hybrid. This is a pup from an old unstriped plant and not a seedling. But having that trait buried in the genetics would make such a sport more likely.
Siouxland: USDA Zone 4b/5a & heat zone 6/7. Extremes at our farm: 108 F to -38 F.
Arid grassland with dry sunny winters, moderate summers, 27" annual precipitation.
nsp88
Ready to Bolt

Post by nsp88 »

edds wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 12:11 am I've had seedlings of some Echinopsis cacti and also some Geranium species come through variegated.
Nice! Variegated echinopsis have some really cool looks sometimes. It seems like seedlings is where variegation comes from most.
nsp88
Ready to Bolt

Post by nsp88 »

meridannight wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:37 pm No. I have got variegated plants from seed only so far. They're rare but I think that seed variegation happens a lot more often than spontaneous mutations that result in variegated plants.
Ah, okay. Wasn't too familiar with which happened more
nsp88
Ready to Bolt

Post by nsp88 »

Paul S wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 1:19 am I had an Echeveria agavoides for 10+ years that suddenly went cristate for no apparent reason. Over the next few years it ended up looking like a piece of coral which in a dry, frost-free climate would have been nice. Here all those folds and convolutions ended up trapping the wet and it just went rotten. I should have dug it up and stuck it on eBay!
Interesting. I have heard some places will expose their plants to radiation to try to promote mutations. I also heard some nurseries talk about leaving plants in greenhouses and then coming back and finding one mutated. So I was just curious how often actually happened. Cool to see it happening without any kind of interference. I have a sinocrassula yunannensis that is just starting to get crested and I heard that having them under grow lights commonly causes it.
nsp88
Ready to Bolt

Post by nsp88 »

Even though gafoto explained where it came from, that's still pretty interesting that it showed up later in it's life.
nsp88
Ready to Bolt

Post by nsp88 »

I wonder if this is something stable or just light stress. Probably light stress? It is a larger pup though, so would be cool if something more stable.
Screenshot_20240324-162351~2.png
Screenshot_20240324-162351~2.png (1.09 MiB) Viewed 519 times
Screenshot_20240324-162251.png
Screenshot_20240324-162251.png (848.05 KiB) Viewed 519 times
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Post by mcvansoest »

just stress.
It is what it is!
nsp88
Ready to Bolt

Post by nsp88 »

mcvansoest wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:38 pmjust stress.
Bummer. Still cool while under that light though.
Thanks