Has anyone grown opuntia from tuna seeds from grocery store?

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Cacti genera too plentiful to enumerate. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: mcvansoest

nsp88
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8a

Has anyone grown opuntia from tuna seeds from grocery store?

Post by nsp88 »

I think next time I see some for sale I will try it, unless they are treated somehow and won't germinate. Not sure what species it will be, but it surely would be one that makes a lot of fruit. Cold hardiness might be lacking, though. Just curious if anyone has tried this before and how it turned out. Thanks
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Re: Has anyone grown opuntia from tuna seeds from grocery store?

Post by Meangreen94z »

The Opuntia at the grocery store are fast growing Mexican species that aren’t very hardy. You can buy the pads and do the same
Austin, Texas
Andrew in Germany
Seedling

Post by Andrew in Germany »

Yes I have, and those in the pic are in their 2 year of life. Absolutely no winter strength, several melted in my winter planted out and in pots under cover. Only a few in an almost frost free greenhouse managed to make it through the winter. The original fruits were very tasty and seeds quick to germinate with a good amount of warmth and water. I’ve not had any fruits off these yet and am not sure I’ll get any worth eating but I’m patient. They are vicious…
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (633.97 KiB) Viewed 38 times
nsp88
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8a

Post by nsp88 »

Thanks, both of you. With so little cold tolerance I am not going to mess with it.