In praise of Mesembs(Gibbaeum dispar)

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Delosperma, Faucaria, Lapidaria, Lithops, Oscularia, Pleiospilos and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
Otter
Bulbil

In praise of Mesembs(Gibbaeum dispar)

Post by Otter »

I am increasingly drawn to these 'living stones' and plan to concentrate on them heavily in 2016.
So many fascinating shapes (not just Lithos) beautiful flowers, and small size, which is great for a city dweller like myself.
Plus, like a college student, most take the summer off!
If the creators of this site ever decide to add new galleries, i vote that one of them be Mesembryanthemacea/Aizoacea.
G.dispar with Pleiospilos bolusii behind it. Shallow dish.
G.dispar with Pleiospilos bolusii behind it. Shallow dish.
IMG_20151230_080105.jpg (118.95 KiB) Viewed 4771 times
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Re: In praise of Mesembs(Gibbaeum dispar)

Post by Gee.S »

If you want to moderate it, we can add it.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Otter
Bulbil

Post by Otter »

I would be happy to. What are the responsibilities of being a moderator? Do i have to check in daily? I could do that. Perhaps there is a system set up to ping moderators when a new posting comes in to the Talk Forums?
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

Peeking in regularly and keeping the Gallery straight, i.e. dealing with errant entries.

You're up! Check your PMs.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
SC FM
Ready to Bolt

Post by SC FM »

I love the stone plants. YEars ago when my daughter was about 6 she entered a pot of Lithops in the county fair. We had found stones to match many of the living stones and filled the pots with the stones touching with their little columnar plat tops even with the tops of the lithops. The woman at the entry said who put these rocks up here. My little girl said, I did, they are living stones. She said, this is a plant exhibit. I said, they are plants. I pointed out to the living plants and she took her ink pen and stabbed at one. I had to tell her to stop that would ruin them She entered the bowl after calling a lot of people over to see this 'bowl of rocks'of living and natural stones and won first place in the succulent category. A EUPHORBIA won best 'CACTUS' lol. They really knew their plants , LOL.