Reference: Agave Species by Group

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Agave, Beschorneria, Furcraea, Hesperaloe, Hesperoyucca, Manfreda, Polianthes, Yucca and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
Minime8484
Offset

Re: Reference: Agave Species by Group

Post by Minime8484 »

Agave salomonii can be added to the Polycephalae.
CSSA Journal 94 (3): 114-124
Minime8484
Offset

Post by Minime8484 »

Agave infiernilloensis should be added to the Choritpalae; newly described from Michoacan (DOI: https://doi.org/10.11646/phytotaxa.564.2.4).
A giant compared to Agave gypsicola (which also needs to be added to that Section).
Just noticed that Agave muxii and Agave rosalesii also need to be added to that list.
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

Minime8484 wrote: Fri Sep 16, 2022 10:49 am Agave infiernilloensis should be added to the Choritpalae; newly described from Michoacan (DOI: https://doi.org/10.11646/phytotaxa.564.2.4).
A giant compared to Agave gypsicola (which also needs to be added to that Section).
Just noticed that Agave muxii and Agave rosalesii also need to be added to that list.
Done!
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Minime8484
Offset

Post by Minime8484 »

Two more new species to be added to the list just described/split from Agave pedunculifera:
Agave martaelenae
Agave servandoana
plantguy
Ready to Bolt

Post by plantguy »

Minime8484 wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:29 pm Two more new species to be added to the list just described/split from Agave pedunculifera:
Agave martaelenae
Agave servandoana
So, this may sound silly, but how do you get notified about these new species, renaming, etc.?
Minime8484
Offset

Post by Minime8484 »

plantguy wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2022 7:53 pm So, this may sound silly, but how do you get notified about these new species, renaming, etc.?
Not silly at all. I'm interested in taxonomy in general and specifically Agaves and cacti (and South American birds, but that's a different forum! ;) ), so I get email alerts from several journals that specialize in alpha-taxonomy (e.g. Phytotaxa) and related fields. I also belong to several Facebook groups and web pages that track new species descriptions and post of them when published.
This one was posted to an Agave Facebook site I follow.
plantguy
Ready to Bolt

Post by plantguy »

I do think taxonomy is awesome, but I tend to focus on horticulture instead, so I didn't know about these groups... Thanks for the help though! I may have to check a few out!
RCDS66
Offset
USDA Zone: 9B

Post by RCDS66 »

Agave megalodonta and Agave quiotepecensis were described by García-Mendoza et al. in 2019 and were included in Heteracanthae sub-group. Later in 2021, Greg Starr visited the type locality and described details in one of his articles (https://starr-nursery.com/wp-content/up ... tarrAC.pdf)

I don't see A. megalodonta and A. quiotepecensis in Heteracanthae sub-group or for that matter, anywhere in the list. Have they not been recognized as species yet? Please advise
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

For the record, the grouping of agave species by subgenus (Agave and Littaea) and groups as put forth by HS Gentry and referenced above, is now considered obsolete, an apparent casualty of genetic sequencing analysis.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
jam
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 7a/b

Post by jam »

Gee.S wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:53 pm For the record, the grouping of agave species by subgenus (Agave and Littaea) and groups as put forth by HS Gentry and referenced above, is now considered obsolete, an apparent casualty of genetic sequencing analysis.
I wish someone got a research grant and analyzed all the Agave species so that we could view a complete phylogram. At the moment, AFAIK, the latest work by Jimenez-Baroon et al, Phylogeny, Diversification, Rate and Divergence Time…., 2020, analyzed only 45% of Littaea and Agave, and only 40% of Agaves sensu lato (to include Manfreda, Polianthes, etc.) which is less than half of the picture. And describing new species and changing names of the already described ones (Paleoagave bracteosa, deserti now simplex) and including hybrids (glomeruliflora, arizonica) will not make it easier.
Setting up a Chihuahuan laboratory.
agavegreg
Ready to Bolt

Post by agavegreg »

I agree with jam and also would like to see a complete phylogenetic tree before giving up on the subgenera concept. As for my research, I will continue to at least use sections.
RCDS66
Offset

Post by RCDS66 »

I have tried to search A. vivipara in the list but it is not there. In which group or section A. vivipara is included please?
jam
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 7a/b

Post by jam »

RCDS66 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:20 am I have tried to search A. vivipara in the list but it is not there. In which group or section A. vivipara is included please?
Rigidae. It's right there, only mispelled.
Setting up a Chihuahuan laboratory.
RCDS66
Offset

Post by RCDS66 »

jam wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:43 pm
RCDS66 wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:20 am I have tried to search A. vivipara in the list but it is not there. In which group or section A. vivipara is included please?
Rigidae. It's right there, only mispelled.
Thanks jam. :U I can see it is there now. :)