Aloes I Grow

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Aloe, Gasteria, Haworthia and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Geoff

Spination
Ready to Bolt

Re: Aloes I Grow

Post by Spination »

Well, your plant still looks fantastic, not only the colors but the rosettes in combination forming a ball-like structure over the pot. Very, very nice!
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Re: Aloes I Grow - Aloe virens

Post by Jkwinston »

This hybrid Aloe I came across at Aridlands two years ago, and decided to make a purchase since it was sugggested that one of its parents was A humilis, and the other possibly A arborescens.. I was attracted to it because I was beginning to enjoy that other humilis hybrid, A x spinossissma, which I found very easy to grow and bloom. For two years my virens plant did nothing, until last summer when it surprised me with its first bloom. Just before Christmas, I noticed another flower bud, and decided to move it indoors away from the greenhouse. I also noticed that it is producing a few suckers which I would welcome in springtime. Jkw
A virens and friends
A virens and friends
IMG_2450v.jpg (107.77 KiB) Viewed 11898 times
A virens
A virens
IMG_2431v.jpg (87.41 KiB) Viewed 11898 times
A virens
A virens
IMG_2429v.jpg (171.07 KiB) Viewed 11898 times
Young Plant
Young Plant
IMG_2425v.jpg (117.68 KiB) Viewed 11898 times
A virens and friends
A virens and friends
IMG_2427v.jpg (117.02 KiB) Viewed 11898 times
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Post by Jkwinston »

Aloe bellatula, easily one of my favourites, and this year giving a great display. Last year, some of my adult plants dried out, leaving me with very few flowers. The year before was the opposite, too much water, and trying to separate them too early, the young plants took to rot. Hopefully, I will be able to get them moving again. This current plant will be left to do what it likes till next year. Jkw
IMG_1351cvs.jpg
IMG_1351cvs.jpg (92.42 KiB) Viewed 11874 times
IMG_1343vs.jpg
IMG_1343vs.jpg (151.88 KiB) Viewed 11874 times
IMG_1352cc.jpg
IMG_1352cc.jpg (131.82 KiB) Viewed 11874 times
IMG_1360cc.jpg
IMG_1360cc.jpg (166.29 KiB) Viewed 11874 times
IMG_1150v.jpg
IMG_1150v.jpg (85.17 KiB) Viewed 11873 times
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Post by Stan »

Arid lands ships to Europe? Huh,I never see any European plants sent here. Mostly the highland exotics from Asian jungles are desirable..
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Post by Jkwinston »

Stan wrote:Arid lands ships to Europe? Huh,I never see any European plants sent here. Mostly the highland exotics from Asian jungles are desirable..
Hey Stan, I am certain they don't. I am very good at doing a quick jig across the pond when it suits my convenience. In fact, the Arid Lands purchases were done by me when I was visiting Tucson, two years ago. Martin Molina was kind enough to take me there, and it was great to be surrounded by so many marvellous plants. Jkw
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Re: Aloes I Grow - Say Goodbye to Christmas Carol

Post by Jkwinston »

After five years of carefully nursing my 'Christmas Carol' hybrid, I have decided to throw caution to the wind, be ambitious and produce a few more specimens. Yes, I was worried that there was a chance that splitting the clump, the individual plants might not survive, but so far most of them are doing fine. Altogether there are four young plants,without the old leaves, and they do look smaller than they did in the pot. One of them is a bit dried out, but that is because I left it in the small cold greenhouse which was not ideal. I have noticed that colouring of the stems are heavily influenced by the light and shade, and therefore my plan is to move them around to work out what is best for them. Slightly worried by the coming winter, but I will keep my eyes on them, and certainly keep them indoors when I go away. Jkw
IMG_1663vv.jpg
IMG_1663vv.jpg (154.61 KiB) Viewed 11856 times
IMG_0987vxv.jpg
IMG_0987vxv.jpg (119.48 KiB) Viewed 11856 times
IMG_1267vv.jpg
IMG_1267vv.jpg (94.89 KiB) Viewed 11856 times
IMG_1398cv.jpg
IMG_1398cv.jpg (94.15 KiB) Viewed 11856 times
xv.jpg
xv.jpg (96.41 KiB) Viewed 11856 times
IMG_1436vv.jpg
IMG_1436vv.jpg (100.91 KiB) Viewed 11856 times
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

CC is great color. It could be just mine,but clumps seem to want separate on their own after awhile with these small hybrids. I get the feeling JK,that if they were planted in ground,they would have large gaps eventually rather then a large clump.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

For being one of the more common tabletops, it always catches my eye when the color is good. The hot pink edges really glow. I actually haven't seen it in nurseries lately. Instead, I'm seeing tons of Pink Blush, which is fairly tough but not nearly as vibrant or exciting. Good luck with your divisions. I would definitely want multiples too.
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Post by Jkwinston »

Stan wrote:CC is great color. It could be just mine,but clumps seem to want separate on their own after awhile with these small hybrids. I get the feeling JK,that if they were planted in ground,they would have large gaps eventually rather then a large clump.
Stan, I wish I had the courage to try one in the ground, which must definitely be a job for the summer in order to be successful. As a plant, I find it very delicate to grow and am certain it will be difficult to manage in our climate. Jkw
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

I tested one spare tabletop hybrid outside last year, and all was well until frost/freeze hit it. That was the end of the line. As far as I'm concerned, that confirms for me that they are generally not frost hardy and not really suited for outdoor plantings wherever they are subject to the frost/freeze threshold. I'm now resigned to the apparent fact that these are pot culture plants for me, which is fine.

Winston, again... that cluster is the finest example of that hybrid I've ever seen.
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Post by Jkwinston »

Azuleja wrote:For being one of the more common tabletops, it always catches my eye when the color is good. The hot pink edges really glow. I actually haven't seen it in nurseries lately. Instead, I'm seeing tons of Pink Blush, which is fairly tough but not nearly as vibrant or exciting. Good luck with your divisions. I would definitely want multiples too.
Thanks. Very interesting that you are having tons of Pink Blush, I had my first one during Christmas when I visited Spain. In order to bring it back to the UK, I decided to split the clump which has now produced a new collection of attractive plants for me. It is definitely much more stable than 'CC' or 'DZ', and I can see why there will always be more of it around. Jkw

PS. BTW, the original baby 'CC' plant was gift from a friend of a friend who lived all the way in Thousand Oaks, outside LA.
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Post by Jkwinston »

Spination wrote:I tested one spare tabletop hybrid outside last year, and all was well until frost/freeze hit it. That was the end of the line. As far as I'm concerned, that confirms for me that they are generally not frost hardy and not really suited for outdoor plantings wherever they are subject to the frost/freeze threshold. I'm now resigned to the apparent fact that these are pot culture plants for me, which is fine.

Winston, again... that cluster is the finest example of that hybrid I've ever seen.
Thanks Tom. This time, it is nice to know that I have got something right. Also, I will take your word about the tenderness of these plants, as our climate is certainly worst than yours. I will also stick to the pot culture. Jkw
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Most of them have rather cold tender species in their parentage, but I left Coral Edge/Rocco outside in freezing weather last winter (kept dry) and it did fine. One of them, I covered with frost cloth on low temp nights, but another was never covered at all. I have 3 of them so I'll try it again this winter to see if it was a fluke. I plan to do the same with Pink Blush because I've heard it can go down to 26f. I would never risk any of the fancier ones though.
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Re: Aloes I Grow - ID Please

Post by Jkwinston »

I have had this plant for more than three years, and I do remember it as an unlabelled Home Depot LA product which I bought on a visit. At first, it was quite sickly, with rotting leaves. But in the last year it has firmed up and looks remarkably stable. I am looking for a name if there is one. Oh, I will add my YouTube video which should help. Jkw
IMG_0901vv.jpg
IMG_0901vv.jpg (175.18 KiB) Viewed 11841 times
IMG_0904vv.jpg
IMG_0904vv.jpg (99.26 KiB) Viewed 11841 times
[youtube]y-8W6V4v7oE[/youtube]
Marlon Machado
Offset

Post by Marlon Machado »

I would guess Aloe 'Silver Ridge', Winston.
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Post by Jkwinston »

Marlon Machado wrote:I would guess Aloe 'Silver Ridge', Winston.
Thanks Marlon. Having looked at most of the Aloe hybrids around, it was the only one that came close to my plant. The only problem I had was that most of the 'Silver Ridge' specimens I saw were internet photos, and at times some looked slightly different in colour. Hope you are still growing the Pereskia species. Jkw
Stan
Ready to Bolt

Post by Stan »

Mine isnt CC. Its the more orangy colored one. I've posted it before. I haven't noticed any damage in the year's I've had it outdoors in a pot. A few 32's over the years. I have noticed that its prone to rot out in gaps..and it takes careful watering to return it to glory. I might try it in ground..but with me,its the same bugaboo-- If I plant where it does best in ground,will it be taken? City life.
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Re: Aloes I Grow - Arid Lands

Post by Jkwinston »

Visiting Arid Lands in Tucson, I was amazed to find a very attractive group of variegated collection of cultivars. In spite of my original plan to pass, I still ended up with three of them, and that is only because I restrained myself. The Aloe collection at Arid Lands is so vast that you are spoiled for choice. I truly enjoy my visit there, as once you done with the Aloes you simply head to the Euphorbias. Jkw
Arid Lands
Arid Lands
IMG_1494v.jpg (273.01 KiB) Viewed 11817 times
Arid Lands
Arid Lands
IMG_1488vs.jpg (297.26 KiB) Viewed 11817 times
IMG_1485c.jpg
IMG_1485c.jpg (246.56 KiB) Viewed 11817 times
Aloe 'Bright Ember'
Aloe 'Bright Ember'
IMG_1939cc.jpg (235.49 KiB) Viewed 11817 times
Aloe 'Pickled Pink'
Aloe 'Pickled Pink'
IMG_1928c.jpg (145.09 KiB) Viewed 11817 times
Aloe 'Raspberry Ruffles'
Aloe 'Raspberry Ruffles'
IMG_1931c.jpg (147.97 KiB) Viewed 11817 times
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Nice group. Winston. :U
I think I like 'Raspberry Ruffles' the best of the 3.
Although your version sounds like the one that makes sense, the Renee O'Connell creation's actual name is 'Pickled Pink'.
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Post by Jkwinston »

Thanks Tom, it was a typo error. I have just changed it. I chose that one because it looked very stable, and had lots of young suckers. Maybe next year, I will be able to use it to do some hybridising, since I now have lots of Pink Blush looking wonderful. Jkw
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

It's got nice qualities to contribute to hybridizing efforts. True to it's name, it colors up nicely with sun. In addition to the offsets, you've got a bulbil there too. Cool. :))
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

A trip to Arid Lands, yes please! The one with the bulbil looks like fun. You have a lot of plants in just that pot. I like the Raspberry Ruffles best too, but I find it's much harder to decide when there are so many.
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Post by Jkwinston »

Hello

Aloe deltoideodonta: I have been growing this Aloe for a few years in company with Spination. I am still doubtful about its correct name. I was rather surprised this winter with the presence of its blooms. Yes, I am reviving my 'Aloe I Grow' Series. Jkw

PS. I am a bit puzzled with uploading the new attachment.
Attachments
Aloe deltoideodonta flower
Aloe deltoideodonta flower
del5s.jpg (213.59 KiB) Viewed 11190 times
Aloe deltoideodonta plant/flower
Aloe deltoideodonta plant/flower
del8s.jpg (268.02 KiB) Viewed 11190 times
Aloe deltoideodonta plant
Aloe deltoideodonta plant
del7s.jpg (277.26 KiB) Viewed 11190 times
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

Looks nothing like my deltoideidonta...

Time for an update on your collection Winston!
Arinda
Offset

Post by Arinda »

Dear Jkwinston

I have this aloe as Aloe imalotensis var longeracemosa.
Attachments
Aloe imalotensis var. longeracemosa 2020 b - 15 - Dec. (1).JPG
Aloe imalotensis var. longeracemosa 2020 b - 15 - Dec. (1).JPG (155.8 KiB) Viewed 9744 times