Aloe barberae

Use this forum to help with identification issues and to show off your beautiful plants, one species, subspecies, and cultivar at a time.

Moderator: Geoff

Forum rules
This section is dedicated toward maintaining one active thread for each Aloaceae species/subspecies/variety/cultivar. Please feel free to add information and/or photos to existing threads or start your own by adding Genus/species as the thread subject. Note that listings are displayed alphabetically. Enjoy!
Stan
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10a

Re: Aloe barberae

Post by Stan »

Maybe that's the maximum lifespan. I know that Lotusland lost most of their venerable Aloe forest including the A.dichotoma's. Aloe mite can be killed off with a systemic,I would think the staff at the Huntington would have used that. Or,maybe the anti systemic fever stopped them? Europe just banned the use.
I had huge troubles getting my Aloidendron tongaensis to recover from mealys or it would be dead by now. Systemic cured it.
One thing about my old Yucca guatemalensis is ..its a rock. No pests,no disease and it sort of gives the Tree Aloe/Dragon tree look. Flowers are nice too.
Hayward Ca. 75-80f summers,60f winters.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

I can see how unfeasible it would be to spray even one massive tree for mites, let alone a bunch of them, let alone multiple applications of insecticide. What about the birds feeding on flower products? I would think an old gnarly tree would be impossible to once again not become a mite re-infestation source for all the other aloes around for time immemorial. The gift that keeps giving... I'm not saying that mites alone are responsible for whatever all happened, but I'm sure at least one component of it.

As an aside - I noticed that on Ebay, no longer is seen Forbid 4F in small repacked more affordable small quantities available. And, other intact Forbid 4F products not available for shipping to California. But Avid, no problem with either it appears. I did not realize there must have been a development there in terms of laws that changed - but I can think of no other reason.
Arinda
Offset

Post by Arinda »

It looks like my barberae is pushing. October 2022 Holland.
Attachments
Aloidendron barberae a 2021 - 13-10 (1).JPG
Aloidendron barberae a 2021 - 13-10 (1).JPG (296.29 KiB) Viewed 1614 times
01 Aloidendron barberae 2022 a 24-10 (2).jpg
01 Aloidendron barberae 2022 a 24-10 (2).jpg (147.31 KiB) Viewed 1614 times
Arinda
Offset

Post by Arinda »

Update. After 20 years it's finally hapening.
Attachments
03 Aloidendron barberae 2022 d 31-10 (1).JPG
03 Aloidendron barberae 2022 d 31-10 (1).JPG (190.07 KiB) Viewed 1582 times