The Sansevieria Book

Use this forum to announce, discuss, and review literature, preferably print, relevant to our xeric gardening interests.

Moderator: DesertDweller

Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

The Sansevieria Book

Post by Gee.S »

Free download: The Sansevieria Book by Hermine Stover

B&W, 72 pp, 1983
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Re: The Sansevieria Book

Post by Spination »

That was the first one I ever read, downloaded online for free. It's a fun read, and Hermine has a wonderful sense of humor. For me reading it when I knew next to nothing, the knowledge gained was very worthwhile.
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Gee.S »

Seems to be the only Sansevieria book out there, and it is absolutely a wealth of information.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

I have "The Splendid Sansevieria" by Juan Chahinian. It wasn't easy to find, but I finally did, and it probably is the most authoritative book on the subject, in an apparent virtual vacuum regarding specifically Sansevieria. I'm going to go by memory, but before that... Brown's book circa 1911 (???) was the previous "bible" on the subject, and clearly out-dated. In any case, really very little readily available information in the way of a book that's out there. Hermine Stover's e-book version is very much the wealth of information as you mention, and for free, that's pretty awesome.
Azuleja
Ready to Bolt

Post by Azuleja »

Gee.S wrote:Seems to be the only Sansevieria book out there, and it is absolutely a wealth of information.
I found a Google book preview of this one. Can't read but one or two words of it, but I still found the photos to be very interesting. I was able to preview the sections on pests and diseases, propagation and potting.