Abbey & Rainbow Gardens Catalog on my Wayback Machine

Use this forum to announce, discuss, and review literature, preferably print, relevant to our xeric gardening interests.

Moderator: DesertDweller

Stone Jaguar
Ready to Bolt

Abbey & Rainbow Gardens Catalog on my Wayback Machine

Post by Stone Jaguar »

While over at my storage facility going through the boxed parts of my library this past weekend, I came across a couple old cactus and succulent catalogs from some well-known California plant vendors in the late 80s.
IMG_20170702_145836_edit.jpg
IMG_20170702_145836_edit.jpg (74.51 KiB) Viewed 4118 times
IMG_20170702_145950_edit.jpg
IMG_20170702_145950_edit.jpg (131.48 KiB) Viewed 4118 times
Some prices to compare with today's.

I believe that I started buying plants from Abbey Gardens in 1984 and was a fairly frequent mail order client of theirs until the early 1990s. Sadly, I see online that the nursery was sold or broken up in 2015 after the owner's death. They were the bomb way back when. An excellent source of Huntington propagated succulents for the masses and so forth. It all seems so quaint now; waiting on the new catalogs in the mail, perusing them with a glass of scotch and a good cigar and then filling out the order forms and a paper check to international snail mail to them for your plants. Since all of my purchases were sent to US postal addresses, I had the further hassle of arranging export dox for them to get to Guatemala. Probably six weeks or more to get the plants to my door from order date. To contrast, I think I had my last Arid Lands order on my doorstep in California within four days after clicking the "Confirm Order" button on my screen without ever touching a piece of paper or a bottle of single malt.

Rainbow Gardens appears to still be around as a bookstore and they published Dimmit, et. al. excellent book on adeniums about six years back. I'm not sure whether they still sell epicacti. I got a small cutting of a Cuban Selenicereus cf inermis from them more than three decades ago that I grew to immense size up and on a huge Mexican Cypress in my garden in Guatemala. Must have had at least several hundred lbs of stems on the tree when I left and was amazing when in flower.

Happy Trails,

J
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Re: Abbey & Rainbow Gardens Catalog on my Wayback Machine

Post by mcvansoest »

The Abbey Garden collection was bought/donated (I think the latter) by/to Boyce Thompson Arboretum. They occasionally have a plant or two in their for sale area. Usually excess plants as they are trying to figure out where to keep all the plants.
It is what it is!
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Re: Abbey & Rainbow Gardens Catalog on my Wayback Machine

Post by Gee.S »

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"