Packrat (Wood Rat)

Use this forum to help with identification issues and treatment for a variety of common afflictions pertinent to our favorite horticultural charges.
Forum rules
This section is dedicated toward maintaining one active thread for each plant pest and disease. Please feel free to add information and/or photos to existing threads or start your own pest thread by adding the common name of the pest or malady as the thread subject. Note that listings are displayed alphabetically. Enjoy!
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Packrat (Wood Rat)

Post by Gee.S »

Some packrats have a strong association with cactus out in habitat and are often drawn to human habitation sites as sources of food, water and shelter. They will eat your succulents, construct large, unsightly nests (fallen cholla pieces are a favorite building material), chew irrigation lines, and wreak all manner of havoc about your property. Control is not difficult, as these moderate sized rodents cannot help but investigate anything new within their field of vision, and that includes snap traps baited with peanut butter and/or raisins. Trap early and trap often, since packrats like nothing more than making more packrats.
Packrat
Packrat
packrat.jpg (32.7 KiB) Viewed 3426 times
Nest
Nest
rats3.jpg (41.88 KiB) Viewed 3423 times
Packrat damage
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Re: Packrat (Wood Rat)

Post by Gee.S »

I adopted an extremely aggressive stance with packrats last season. After several years of prolonged conflict, I was well aware of when and where they like to set up shop across my property, so I decided to trap BEFORE I saw damage. The result was nearly no damage to plants or irrigation system components, and 15 dead packrats. I had always assumed there was an inexhaustible supply of packrats across the area, from which to make more packrats, but this is apparently not true. An unexpected bonus of last season's efforts has been the apparent elimination of packrats from my property. I'm sure it won't last, but for now they are gone.
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"