Aloe berevoana

Use this forum to help with identification issues and to show off your beautiful plants, one species, subspecies, and cultivar at a time.

Moderator: Geoff

Forum rules
This section is dedicated toward maintaining one active thread for each Aloaceae species/subspecies/variety/cultivar. Please feel free to add information and/or photos to existing threads or start your own by adding Genus/species as the thread subject. Note that listings are displayed alphabetically. Enjoy!
Geoff

Aloe berevoana

Post by Geoff »

Aloe berevoana new AL 3-11.JPG
Aloe berevoana new AL 3-11.JPG (120.65 KiB) Viewed 4318 times
note: plant in very front of this pot is Aloe paralellifolia, not Aloe berevoana (those are all the rest of the aloe suckers in this pot)
note: plant in very front of this pot is Aloe paralellifolia, not Aloe berevoana (those are all the rest of the aloe suckers in this pot)
Aloe berevoana NOT 2-11.JPG (173.29 KiB) Viewed 4318 times
This Madagascan shrubby suckering aloe is a bit of a mystery to me.. Several plants in cultivation carry this name yet only one can be the real thing as they are completely unlike each other. I am pretty sure, based on photos and descriptions in the Definite Guide to Aloes, and Aloes of Madagascar, that I am growing the real thing, and the plants sold by Aridlands are the correct plants. Several plants in the Los Angeles arboretum labeled as this are very different (see below), but then many plants in the arboretum are labeled incorrectly (true of most all botanical gardens in my experience... but usually percentage-wise they are right more often than a nursery is). I have not seen my plants flower yet, but when/if they do, I will, I hope, finally lay this controversy to rest (some 'experts' have been disagreeing with me is all).
Geoff

Re: Aloe berevoana

Post by Geoff »

Los Angeles arboretum plants labeled as Aloe berevoana
Aloe berevoana larb.JPG
Aloe berevoana larb.JPG (267.36 KiB) Viewed 4317 times
Aloe berevoana maybe flworeing larb jan.JPG
Aloe berevoana maybe flworeing larb jan.JPG (221.03 KiB) Viewed 4317 times
Just for scale, these plants are nearly 3x the size as my plants, in terms of their leaves. Plants are low and spreading, not tall an thin like my plants..