Post pictures from your yard today

Discuss any and all issues that don't fit neatly into one of our other forum sections.
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Re: Post pictures from your yard today

Post by Paul S »

Thank you.

Plant behind/left of the Agave ovatifolia is Chamaerops humilis 'Vulcano' - the dwarf cultivar. Here from the side.
IMG_20230928_152741.jpg
IMG_20230928_152741.jpg (514.97 KiB) Viewed 1250 times
The cactus in 1.01 is Trichocereus (Echinopsis) schickendantzii. never shown anyn iinclination to grow upwards, just sprawls around.
The agave that had flowered is Agave salmiana subsp. crassispina. Here a better couple of shots :)
IMG_20220721_162424.jpg
IMG_20220721_162424.jpg (408.73 KiB) Viewed 1250 times
IMG_20220425_171206.jpg
IMG_20220425_171206.jpg (527 KiB) Viewed 1250 times
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

nsp88 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:35 am What is the plant behind/left of the ovatifolia in 3.01?
I said the wrong one. :roll:

Puya coerulea.
nsp88
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8a

Post by nsp88 »

Paul S wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 1:04 pm I said the wrong one. :roll:

Puya coerulea.
I guess I have mainly seen photos of them when much larger and didn't recognize them at that size. Awesome. I have some seeds of those I just started.

Really love your place. I think a while back I found and reshared some of your photos that had cactus or agaves and wildflowers that looked great. Guess I like your tastes in plants.

Those short bloom stalks always seem so out of proportion. I like them, I am just used to taller ones.
jam
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 7a/b

Post by jam »

Paul, I have seen your garden many times, but the wow effect never wears off. Creating slopes provides such depth and gives the garden a very natural look, despite using plants from different parts of the world. Very few people have the gift for the kind of composition where various plants are put together to eventually blend into one masterpiece.
Setting up a Chihuahuan laboratory.
jam
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 7a/b

Post by jam »

nsp88 wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:26 pm I think a while back I found and reshared some of your photos that had cactus or agaves and wildflowers that looked great.
That must have been the plot next door that Paul bought quite recently, and where he used the rubble from the old house to improve the drainage. Two different setups but both are absolutely stunning.
Setting up a Chihuahuan laboratory.
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

Thank you!

Yes, Jan - this bit... :)
IMG_20220604_150709.jpg
IMG_20220604_150709.jpg (638.3 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
IMG_20230524_095321.jpg
IMG_20230524_095321.jpg (555.96 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
IMG_20230612_093919.jpg
IMG_20230612_093919.jpg (348.22 KiB) Viewed 1169 times
nsp88
Ready to Bolt

Post by nsp88 »

Paul S wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:57 am Thank you!

IMG_20220604_150709.jpg

IMG_20230524_095321.jpg

IMG_20230612_093919.jpg
Yeah, that's what I was thinking of. I'm probably especially partial to it because I love poppies.

Also, just noticed your corks on the agave in bloom. Guessing you kept getting shanked while checking out the bloom
JoyinAlb
Bulbil
USDA Zone: 7b

Post by JoyinAlb »

Paul S wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:57 am Thank you!

IMG_20220604_150709.jpg

IMG_20230524_095321.jpg

IMG_20230612_093919.jpg
Very beautiful. That magenta definitely pops. If I saw that first photo as a stand alone post, I would not assume England.
How many years have you been collecting?
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

Thank you. Yes, that is the point, really - to have a garden that doesn't look like it is in England.

I wouldn#'t describe myself as a collector, more a gardener. I've been gardening in 'exotic' style for nearly 40 years since I first had some outdoor space of my own. Where I live in England is very dry (20" a year) so after struggling to keep my bananas and treeferns alive I moved towards a more xeric style - for over 30 years now. It isn't anything you see very much over here, certainly not back then, so I have been very much ploughing my own furrow.
Gafoto
Ready to Bolt

Post by Gafoto »

Paul S wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:09 amIt isn't anything you see very much over here, certainly not back then, so I have been very much ploughing my own furrow.
Ain’t that the truth. Finding xeric plants around here (a literal desert) is amazingly difficult. Mormons grew up using copious amounts of irrigation and the influx of an extra million or so people hasn’t broken the habit yet.

Not exactly my yard, but these are Agave chrysantha x parryi mishmash plants from the Sierra Ancha sprouted in January, just getting their true leaves:
IMG_4487.jpeg
IMG_4487.jpeg (563.28 KiB) Viewed 813 times
All kinds of variety!
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Post by Meangreen94z »

The local Austin nurseries seem to already push natives or hardy xeric plants. The last 3 winters and 2 summers have helped clarify what will survive here longterm, I’ve noticed less and less attempts at tropical species. I’m always up for trying new species that are close to proven ones. The common columnar cactus are Neobuxbaumia polylopha, Saguaro, and Trichocereus terscheckii. I’ve found a number of similar Trichocereus that so far have done well the past 2 winters in low to mid teens F (with a tarp thrown over).
Austin, Texas
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Post by mcvansoest »

My front yard looks a bit like a jungle (or as jungly as we can get in AZ) atm... the 'wildflowers' are in full swing - there is some stuff in there that I did not intentionally plant... I have a timer going on when the first 'tidy up your yard' messages will start coming from the city... no HOA, but a city that is to a point replacing that with regards to 'messy' yards.

Tall ones in the first pic are cardons, the shorter squat one is my Saguaro that is looking more tank like by the year
22C72130-A464-4B62-BF32-18640D2CBFE3_1_105_c.jpeg
22C72130-A464-4B62-BF32-18640D2CBFE3_1_105_c.jpeg (392.8 KiB) Viewed 758 times
Tall green one in the 2ns pic is my terscheckii you can see its tip is not looking all that happy it did not like last summer and it has taken a very long time to recover or look like recovering.
02FD0DD5-861C-4408-ACBC-A1A1CF6954A4_1_105_c.jpeg
02FD0DD5-861C-4408-ACBC-A1A1CF6954A4_1_105_c.jpeg (401.43 KiB) Viewed 758 times
All the way in the back against the house you can see the spiking sobria.

My bougie and firesticks are also apparent... firesticks has decided it wants to sprawl... not want I want, but it is what it is... the bougie is on its way growing out of a heavy prune... so looks fairly manageable/managed at the moment, by the end of summer it will be a giant unruly monster...
It is what it is!
Gafoto
Ready to Bolt

Post by Gafoto »

Meangreen94z wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:32 am The local Austin nurseries seem to already push natives or hardy xeric plants. The last 3 winters and 2 summers have helped clarify what will survive here longterm, I’ve noticed less and less attempts at tropical species. I’m always up for trying new species that are close to proven ones. The common columnar cactus are Neobuxbaumia polylopha, Saguaro, and Trichocereus terscheckii. I’ve found a number of similar Trichocereus that so far have done well the past 2 winters in low to mid teens F (with a tarp thrown over).
You can usually find Red Yucca and probably ‘Color Guard’ but that is often the extent of it. I have seen Yucca rostrata stocked (once) and never Yucca elata, much less other hardy Yucca. I’ve seen more than a few Agave parryi var. truncata, which are all Huntington Clones which will not survive our winters.

There are lots of xeric plants I’m trying to grow that are clearly marginal but quite a few that are happy as clams here. Joshua Trees like SLC better than most spots in Nevada as far as I can tell. I never see them for sale here, sadly.
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt

Post by Meangreen94z »

Gafoto wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:13 pm
Meangreen94z wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:32 am The local Austin nurseries seem to already push natives or hardy xeric plants. The last 3 winters and 2 summers have helped clarify what will survive here longterm, I’ve noticed less and less attempts at tropical species. I’m always up for trying new species that are close to proven ones. The common columnar cactus are Neobuxbaumia polylopha, Saguaro, and Trichocereus terscheckii. I’ve found a number of similar Trichocereus that so far have done well the past 2 winters in low to mid teens F (with a tarp thrown over).
You can usually find Red Yucca and probably ‘Color Guard’ but that is often the extent of it. I have seen Yucca rostrata stocked (once) and never Yucca elata, much less other hardy Yucca. I’ve seen more than a few Agave parryi var. truncata, which are all Huntington Clones which will not survive our winters.

There are lots of xeric plants I’m trying to grow that are clearly marginal but quite a few that are happy as clams here. Joshua Trees like SLC better than most spots in Nevada as far as I can tell. I never see them for sale here, sadly.
In the past I’ve had to order a lot off the internet. I found a local nursery that buys heavily from wholesale growers in Arizona, and will order pretty much anything I show them.

Yucca brevifolia seem incompatible or atleast tricky in Central Texas. I have not seen or heard of any longterm success stories. Seedlings or small Yucca rotted within a year. I’m now trying trunking in large mounds of fast draining soil. They made it through the winter fine. Whether it’s this year or another we will inevitably hit a heavy period of rain, which local reservoirs desperately need, and that will be a test.
Austin, Texas
Gafoto
Ready to Bolt

Post by Gafoto »

Meangreen94z wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:37 pm

In the past I’ve had to order a lot off the internet. I found a local nursery that buys heavily from wholesale growers in Arizona, and will order pretty much anything I show them.

Yucca brevifolia seem incompatible or atleast tricky in Central Texas. I have not seen or heard of any longterm success stories. Seedlings or small Yucca rotted within a year. I’m now trying trunking in large mounds of fast draining soil. They made it through the winter fine. Whether it’s this year or another we will inevitably hit a heavy period of rain, which local reservoirs desperately need, and that will be a test.
A lot of the Mojave plants just won’t tolerate humidity and mist for any period it seems. It can’t be a wet feet issue, my Joshua Tree tolerates frozen wet roots all winter long. Then again it’s almost never warm and wet here. I’ve learned the hard way that another Mojave native, Agave utahensis, will accept frozen saturated soil in winter but it will rot to mush in a hurry if it’s warm and wet indoors. Overwatering kills them very very fast.

Can you grow creosote or bigtooth sage there or are they also too humidity sensitive?

I have a good source of larger plants when I visit St. George and I don’t mind buying all the special snowflakes off the internet. Lots of the Agave hybrids are so rare and new I can’t expect any of them to be landscape size. It’a quite satisfying to have a vast pipeline of small plants that I can count on growing up and planting in the ground over the next few years.
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt

Post by Meangreen94z »

Gafoto wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:47 pm
Meangreen94z wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:37 pm

A lot of the Mojave plants just won’t tolerate humidity and mist for any period it seems. It can’t be a wet feet issue, my Joshua Tree tolerates frozen wet roots all winter long. Then again it’s almost never warm and wet here. I’ve learned the hard way that another Mojave native, Agave utahensis, will accept frozen saturated soil in winter but it will rot to mush in a hurry if it’s warm and wet indoors. Overwatering kills them very very fast.

Can you grow creosote or bigtooth sage there or are they also too humidity sensitive?

I have a good source of larger plants when I visit St. George and I don’t mind buying all the special snowflakes off the internet. Lots of the Agave hybrids are so rare and new I can’t expect any of them to be landscape size. It’a quite satisfying to have a vast pipeline of small plants that I can count on growing up and planting in the ground over the next few years.
Creosote grows to the south of San Antonio as you head towards Laredo and of course in West Texas. I’m actually trying 2 of them just for the smell after a fresh rain.
Austin, Texas
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Melt in the Sun »

Aloe 'Spiney' decided to bloom with a dwarfed and mangled stalk this year, and much later than past years. I think I have one pod setting, hopefully from the A. gariepensis pollen I stuck on it.
Attachments
1000015419.jpg
1000015419.jpg (423.91 KiB) Viewed 648 times
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt

Post by Meangreen94z »

A shot of my Chihuahuan Desert garden. The palm is Brahea dulcis
IMG_9858.jpeg
IMG_9858.jpeg (914.87 KiB) Viewed 621 times
Austin, Texas
Fairview
Offset
USDA Zone: 8

Post by Fairview »

@Meangreen94z All those containers in the background really detract from the beauty. I can be down there this weekend to take them off your hands.

What sort of cactus are in the foreground?
Mckinney, Texas. 30 Miles North of Dallas. What I'm trying to grow: A ovatifolia: whales tongue, frosty blue, vanzie, sharkskin, parrasana, montana, parryi JC Raulston, Bellville, Bluebell Giant, havardiana, polianthiflora, parviflora, havardiana x neomexicana
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

I delighted to see you have your priorities sorted out. Most ordinary people, when they move into a new house, get the inside fixed - maybe a new kitchen and/or bathroom. Bit of redecorating. :D
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt

Post by Meangreen94z »

Fairview wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:02 pm @Meangreen94z All those containers in the background really detract from the beauty. I can be down there this weekend to take them off your hands.

What sort of cactus are in the foreground?
The cactus is Echinocereus coccineus var. paucispinus. It’s a work in progress. I will have plenty of empty containers you can have. D))
Paul S wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:06 am I delighted to see you have your priorities sorted out. Most ordinary people, when they move into a new house, get the inside fixed - maybe a new kitchen and/or bathroom. Bit of redecorating. :D
Actually my wife wanted control of the inside, so it worked out. D)) The next 2 months are the time to get stuff in the ground locally, to get them established for the potential harsh summer and winter.
Austin, Texas
nsp88
Ready to Bolt

Post by nsp88 »

Meangreen94z wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:42 pm A shot of my Chihuahuan Desert garden. The palm is Brahea dulcis
IMG_9858.jpeg
Tall yuccas and palms that go in - do they not need to be staked up? Seems like I always see them with a relatively small root ball/pot size.
Fairview
Offset

Post by Fairview »

nsp88 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:06 pm
Meangreen94z wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:42 pm A shot of my Chihuahuan Desert garden. The palm is Brahea dulcis
IMG_9858.jpeg
Tall yuccas and palms that go in - do they not need to be staked up? Seems like I always see them with a relatively small root ball/pot size.
Weather they need it or not, for me the effort of staking them in is the insurance premium I pay so I don't have replant something I already planted. I always found a replant to be 10x harder than the initial plant.
Mckinney, Texas. 30 Miles North of Dallas. What I'm trying to grow: A ovatifolia: whales tongue, frosty blue, vanzie, sharkskin, parrasana, montana, parryi JC Raulston, Bellville, Bluebell Giant, havardiana, polianthiflora, parviflora, havardiana x neomexicana
Fairview
Offset

Today's Little Project

Post by Fairview »

Man, this getting older gig is rough. ONLY took me 3 hours to dry stack that little stretch, empty 2 bags of growers mix and plant 4 plants.
Attachments
20240311_155245.jpg
20240311_155245.jpg (731.47 KiB) Viewed 561 times
nsp88
Ready to Bolt

Re: Today's Little Project

Post by nsp88 »

Fairview wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 2:09 pm Man, this getting older gig is rough. ONLY took me 3 hours to dry stack that little stretch, empty 2 bags of growers mix and plant 4 plants.
Is that myrtle spurge new to you or have you grown it here a while? Curious how it does here.