Baobab seeds

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Caudiciform and Pachyform fat plants. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
Mr_slinky_dragon
Offset

Baobab seeds

Post by Mr_slinky_dragon »

Ive ordered some baobab peices (the seeds covered on the pulp, im curious in the taste) how would i go about growing them?
gave_agave
Offset

Re: Baobab seeds

Post by gave_agave »

You can make some nice juice from the pulp, surprising citric taste.
I found that the seeds germinate well when the hard, thick, outer shell is opened (I prefer sanding them, but it takes considerable time to that). The germinate them on wet paper in a warm spot. Which Baobab species is it?
Mr_slinky_dragon
Offset

No idea on the species, the source is Senegal so most likely digitata
gave_agave
Offset

Post by gave_agave »

That will be digitata indeed, looses leaves for 5-7 months of the year and then should be dry. Can take cool nights in the dry season (~10C), but I haven't seen them in areas in Africa where it freezes. Start watering again when you see the plant is waking up.
Mr_slinky_dragon
Offset

Is it a summer or winter grower?
gave_agave
Offset

Post by gave_agave »

In Africa I've seen them getting leaves towards the end of the dry season, that's also when they flower. Where I used to live this was around October/November. By May/June most were without leaves again, but there can be considerable difference between individuals (I've seen ones full in leaves in November standing and others ones with barely a leaf visible). I germinated some seeds at home in the winter of 2017/2018 and they grew a lot the first year, but went dormant when it got colder in autumn 2018, and then in the second year had a much shorter growth period, starting in May/June. I kept them in a greenhouse from June-end of September in the UK, and most were going dormant then. However, one individual kept it's leaves and instead of putting them in a cold, unheated room, inside, I put it in the living room. It has never lost all leaves, but did go through a period of no growth about as long as the others.
Mr_slinky_dragon
Offset

Ill play it by ear then :)
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

I put digitata seeds in hot water this morning to soak for 24 hours before sowing.
gave_agave
Offset

Post by gave_agave »

Did you score them? File away to have a crack or hole in the hard outer shell? That really increases germination speed.
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

NoI didn’t. The PlantzAfrica site just said to soak.
We shall see!
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

I raised 2 healthy seedlings, repotted them after a while but they just aren’t growing. Don’t know why. Roots are fine.
Anybody know why?
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

Smaller one growing away now.

Keep dry in winter? Winston?
Jkwinston
Ready to Bolt

Post by Jkwinston »

mickthecactus wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 8:16 am Smaller one growing away now.

Keep dry in winter? Winston?
Winter is always going to be problematic Mick. Growing seedlings I found easy, but keeping them alive after, was difficult because of our climate. I tried to keep them warm and growing for as long as I can fearful that dormancy will be a disaster. Some seedlings survived, but others wilted away. Some turned yellow, and the green ones I still gave a gentle spray to keep them going. But too often it was hit and miss. Honestly Mick, when two of my largest plants did not wake up from dormancy, I decided it was time to quit. To survive, they need to be planted and maintained in greenhouse condition A La Kew Gardens. Light and temperature play an important part of their development and survival. Jkw

PS. I have better luck growing Pereskia species.
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

Oh dear.

Well, I’ll give it my best shot and report back!

Edit: I’m on good terms with Kew. I’ll check with them.
gave_agave
Offset

Post by gave_agave »

I keep mine defoliated and bone dry until april/may in an unheated room. Once I see some sign of growth in one, I'll start watering them. Some drop their leaves months earlier than other, and one year one kept some leaves. I did keep watering that one I belief. I much of their distribution they go for month without rain.
I lived in Zambia, where they occurred in the Luangwa Valley where I lived.
Jan: Warm and lots of rain
Feb: Warm and lots of rain
March: Warm noticeably less rain, but still quite a bit of rain
April: Warm, sporadic rain
May: Warm to cooler, dry
June: Cool nights, warm days, dry
July: Cool nights, warm days, dry
August: Nights warming up, days getting warmer, dry
September: Warming up, dry
October: Hot, dry, very sporadic shower
November: Hot, dry, sporadic heavy showers
December: Warm, quite a bit of rain

Usually by May they lost their leaves until November or so. But I've seen one tree in leaf in a whole forest of trees without leaves. Most of the time they are defoliated, and they are very adapted to dealing with drought. They don't seem to mind a cool room when defoliated either.