Hercules aloe snapped in half

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Aloe, Gasteria, Haworthia and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.

Moderator: Geoff

Jd92

Hercules aloe snapped in half

Post by Jd92 »

Hi!

I was hoping for some advice. My Hercules aloe snapped in half during a windstorm. I am so upset. How can I fix the situation? Can I graft it back together somehow? I put the top in soil but I am heart broken. Will it keep growing? Will the bottom part die?Any and all advice would be appreciated.
Attachments
D1DE6D3B-1500-4833-8960-BD72C5CDF188.jpeg
D1DE6D3B-1500-4833-8960-BD72C5CDF188.jpeg (691.23 KiB) Viewed 1236 times
F9EB827D-9EBA-4721-8954-789F325A56CA.jpeg
F9EB827D-9EBA-4721-8954-789F325A56CA.jpeg (701.61 KiB) Viewed 1236 times
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Re: Hercules aloe snapped in half

Post by mcvansoest »

Sorry to see that, but I think there is a good chance that you now have two Aloe 'Hercules' the bottom part should develop one or possibly more new growth points, while the top part has a good chance of rooting. Both can take a while. Not sure you can easily graft these two together.

Keep them dry and warm.
It is what it is!
Jd92

Post by Jd92 »

Thank you so much for the advice. I’m glad not all hope is lost.

Should I keep the ‘head’ out of soil for a while?

How long before I can water again?
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

The top part should be allowed to have the break "heal" over for a time before placing in soil, and/or at the least applying sulfur powder to the break to prevent easy access by pathogens which could rot the top before it could root. Usually, a cool dry place is a good option to stash it while the the break surface heals over (forms scar tissue).
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

Might also be worth cutting the break area on both sections to make a clean, smooth cut before drying it off rather than a jagged uneven surface.

I purposely beheaded a 'Hercules' - a few years ago, now. It was only a small plant and one of a very few in Europe at the time so it was with great trepidation that I wielded the knife! :shock: The bottom section made two heads, the top rooted... eventually.
meridannight
Offset

Post by meridannight »

The top part will root readily, but you gotta let it dry. If you place it in soil right now, it might rot below instead. Just let it air dry for a week or so...whenever it looks calloused over and 100% dry. You may wanna remove a few bottom leaves as well, leaves should not be planted into the soil.
Species I'm growing from seed: Agave nizandensis, Agave difformis, Agave parryi, Agave schidigera, Aloe alooides, Aloe manandonae, Aloe dhufarensis, Aloe barbara-jeppeae, Hyophorbe verschaffeltii, Kerriodoxa elegans, Johannesteijsmannia altifrons, Chrysalidocarpus leptocheilos, Licuala grandis.