Agave Blue Brian

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Agave, Beschorneria, Furcraea, Hesperaloe, Hesperoyucca, Manfreda, Polianthes, Yucca and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
Blue Agave
Seedling

Agave Blue Brian

Post by Blue Agave »

Thought I'd share a hybrid we have over here in England and Europe called Blue Brian .

A hybrid of parrasana x potatorum that with a winter shelter does well in the our climate. Its currently sheltering beneath our montana. It provides a great shape and colour to the drybed.
PXL_20240316_111339858.jpg
PXL_20240316_111339858.jpg (391.04 KiB) Viewed 302 times
Has it made it's way over the pond? Or is it known by another name 🤔

Wayne
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Re: Agave Blue Brian

Post by Meangreen94z »

That’s a beautiful Agave.
Greg Starr (Starr Nursery) has offered that hybrid for a few years. I tried it at one point and it wasn’t very hardy(for where I’m located).

https://starr-nursery.com/shop/agaves/a ... tatorum-2/
IMG_9913.jpeg
IMG_9913.jpeg (109.07 KiB) Viewed 292 times
Hidden Agave which is ran by Jeremy Spath has offered isthmensis x parrasana
IMG_9914.jpeg
IMG_9914.jpeg (280.96 KiB) Viewed 292 times
Austin, Texas
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

That’s quite a plant.
Blue Agave
Seedling

Post by Blue Agave »

Wow isthmensis x parrasana is beautiful 😍

Those teeth and imprints... my Blue Brian needs some warmth and sunshine to look it's best.

Wayne
mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Post by mcvansoest »

So many things wrong with this name... Brian must be a pretty sad bloke... being blue and all... I keep hoping someone realizes they spelled brain wrong when coining this name... but I doubt that is it...
It is what it is!
Gafoto
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 7b

Post by Gafoto »

mcvansoest wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:32 am So many things wrong with this name... Brian must be a pretty sad bloke... being blue and all... I keep hoping someone realizes they spelled brain wrong when coining this name... but I doubt that is it...
A bit like ‘Green Goblet’ that has been corrupted into ‘Green Goblin’. Or ‘Blue Ball’ that turned into ‘Blue Balls’. Keeping names on the straight and narrow can be a full time job.
nsp88
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8a

Post by nsp88 »

Gafoto wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:33 pm
mcvansoest wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:32 am So many things wrong with this name... Brian must be a pretty sad bloke... being blue and all... I keep hoping someone realizes they spelled brain wrong when coining this name... but I doubt that is it...
A bit like ‘Green Goblet’ that has been corrupted into ‘Green Goblin’. Or ‘Blue Ball’ that turned into ‘Blue Balls’. Keeping names on the straight and narrow can be a full time job.
Blue what, now? I have seen the green goblin and goblet names. I've never seen them side by side though so I never compared them. Didn't realize they were the same. Good to know.