Moving to New Zealand my plants must go

Use this forum to list your haves and wants. Commercial posts welcome. If you have some interesting offerings, we want to hear about it!

Moderator: Melt in the Sun

mcvansoest
Location: Tempe, Arizona, USA ie. Low Desert & Urban Heat Island
USDA Zone: 9a/b

Moving to New Zealand my plants must go

Post by mcvansoest »

Well, I guess I can hold off on not posting this only for so long...

In late February I applied for a job in New Zealand and after interviewing, I was offered the job. Too my surprise the offer was of a nature that taking all factors into account, I could not refuse and we decided that I should accept it. So we will in all likelihood (work visas willing) be moving to New Zealand later this year.

One of the first things we did was look into taking plants... (we looked into shipping out the pets first) me with my large cactus collection and my wife with her large indoor plant collection... the answer was simple: no. It could probably be done for the cacti if I bare rooted everything had it treated and do the whole phyto in/ex-port process, cause the 3 month quarantine would be something the cacti (and Agaves and most Aloes would survive), but it is not like I will be able to solely focus on getting those plants ready for a move and Wellington is definitely not the a place where without a serious green house most of my cacti would be happy to survive - some aloes and agaves would be fine. I hear there is even a place that makes Agave spirit from Agaves grown in New Zealand.

So the painful decision was made that things that are not of large landscape size need to go (so e.g. the pachycereus weberi and the cardons are staying). I know I have told some people earlier this year I would be willing to ship some stuff out to them. I still am, but I think most of the plants I will be offering and listing here will be for local pickup only, with maybe one weekend where I pack up some boxes to ship out.

In the next few days I will be compiling a list - probably in this thread - of what is available, and if it is free or I want something for it and whether or not I would ship it or not. No trades obviously....

It will be a huge change but once we are settled I will see about obtaining a greenhouse and will start on a new collection (or start collecting different plants).
It is what it is!
DesertRose
Seedling

Re: Moving to New Zealand my plants must go

Post by DesertRose »

Congratulations on the new job, quite a big step!
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

Certainly is and I believe it’s a lovely place.

The biggest Aloe polyphylla I’ve seen grew in NZ.
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

What an exciting adventure! Work aside, the flora and landscapes of NZ, especially the south, should keep you busy and entranced.
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Post by Meangreen94z »

Congratulations D))
Austin, Texas
DebAZ
Rhizome
USDA Zone: 9a-b

Post by DebAZ »

Congratulations! Both on the job and the big adventure of moving across the world after being settled for years. I somehow feel sure you and your spouse will find plants to hunt, study, collect, and grow. I hope at least some of them will be xeric, so this forum can continue to benefit from your posts.

I will be interested in the plants you will be selling, and since we are only 30 miles apart, I can easily pick up.
Spination
Ready to Bolt

Post by Spination »

Congrats! What a great and exciting opportunity!
mcvansoest

Post by mcvansoest »

Thank you all!

It is all still a little surreal atm, the Wellington area temperature high range for most of the year is 46-68... for almost half the year here if it gets down to 68F we are lucky. So it will take a while to acclimatize I am sure, but we are looking forward to exploring the country and figure out which Agaves etc are good to grow there. Looking forward to trying Aloe polyphylla and all those other aloes that I tried and killed over the years. My wife who is originally Canadian never really liked the AZ sunny and hot climate much and is ecstatic about this change in climate. I am a little less eager for that, but I grew up in the Netherlands so it is not like that temperature range is completely foreign to me. LOL.

We were watching the first episode of the new Brokenwood mysteries series (a cop show set in 'rural' NZ, very midsommer murders adjacent, for those who are into that show) and could not help but notice some exceptional looking specimens of Agave attenuata growing in the yard of a house in one of the scenes. There is a cactus and succulent society, so I am sure things will be fine.
It is what it is!
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Melt in the Sun »

Congrats on a very cool opportunity! Never been to NZ so looked up the Wellington weather...mild year round, slightly wetter in winter, like San Francisco with summer rains? That will certainly be a change for you, accustomed to living in a broiler!
OWgave
Ready to Bolt

Post by OWgave »

Gonna be hob nobbin with the Hobbits down in middle earth I see.

Good luck to you and the missus 👍🏽

Good Growing,
OWgave
"My worst fear is, when I die, my wife will sell my agaves at the prices I told her at what I got them for" :frown:
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Post by Meangreen94z »

mcvansoest wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:23 am Thank you all!

It is all still a little surreal atm, the Wellington area temperature high range for most of the year is 46-68... for almost half the year here if it gets down to 68F we are lucky. So it will take a while to acclimatize I am sure, but we are looking forward to exploring the country and figure out which Agaves etc are good to grow there. Looking forward to trying Aloe polyphylla and all those other aloes that I tried and killed over the years. My wife who is originally Canadian never really liked the AZ sunny and hot climate much and is ecstatic about this change in climate. I am a little less eager for that, but I grew up in the Netherlands so it is not like that temperature range is completely foreign to me. LOL.

We were watching the first episode of the new Brokenwood mysteries series (a cop show set in 'rural' NZ, very midsommer murders adjacent, for those who are into that show) and could not help but notice some exceptional looking specimens of Agave attenuata growing in the yard of a house in one of the scenes. There is a cactus and succulent society, so I am sure things will be fine.
Hopefully Agaveville still functions in the Southern Hemisphere. We would hate to lose one of our most knowledgeable and informative members . D))
Austin, Texas
mickthecactus

Post by mickthecactus »

Mrs Cactus is a big fan of Brokenwood.
Gafoto
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 7b

Post by Gafoto »

That is exciting! There’s guaranteed to be excellent gardening opportunities there, albeit with a different cast.
nsp88
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8a

Post by nsp88 »

It isn't Brokenwood, but Hunt for the Wilderpeople is an enjoyable film from NZ. A little bit of sad, sweet, and funny.
mcvansoest

Post by mcvansoest »

Another show is One lane bridge, that one is a bit weird and a lot of people die, so we will certainly avoid visiting it... LOL...
It is what it is!
Fairview
Offset
USDA Zone: 8

Post by Fairview »

"Red Dog" is set in western Australia. Pretty good flick.

I was in Perth and Freemantle during the early 80s. Never made it to New Zealand. Australia was a cool place back then. The generation that went through WWII was very appreciative of us "Yanks" The young ones would just as soon spit on us or worse.
Mckinney, Texas. 30 Miles North of Dallas. What I'm trying to grow: A ovatifolia: whales tongue, frosty blue, vanzie, sharkskin, parrasana, montana, parryi JC Raulston, Bellville, Bluebell Giant, havardiana, polianthiflora, parviflora, havardiana x neomexicana
Ritteren

Post by Ritteren »

That sounds like a big adventure! Moving to New Zealand is exciting but I can imagine it's tough to part with your plant collection. I moved houses last year and had to leave behind some cherished plants too. The logistics were tricky—finding the right moving company, packing, and then settling into the new place while worrying about the survival of my plants. It was quite a challenge!
mcvansoest

Post by mcvansoest »

I moved to the US from the Netherlands in my late 20s which was a big undertaking but then I was single and barely had a quarter container full of stuff (which was shipped to me way way later), then I moved from CA to AZ, which was a little more stuff, but this one is many years later, married, own a house... that is full of stuff... so yup it is a huge undertaking.

We are currently mostly in the process of shedding stuff that will not go - but there is a complicating factor that in NZ certain things are way more expensive than for example here, so as we are shedding stuff we are also acquiring stuff that is just simply cheaper to get here. So it has been a coming and going for furniture.... etc...

And then there is some stuff that is simply difficult to take like most household electronics because they are 240/50Hz where as the US is 120/60Hz some stuff can go on a step down transformer, but a lot of stuff that is difficult for...

Anway... for the locals, I should be posting something here soon as to what is still available and when...
It is what it is!
Sonoran Jackalope
Bulbil

Post by Sonoran Jackalope »

Congratulations on getting a new job and great opportunity! Bummer the plants can’t go!

I’m in the Phoenix area and I would be interested in these if you have any:
-Ariocarpus fissuratus
-Astrophytum coahuilense
-Aztekium of any kind
-Bursera microphylla
-Echinocactus horizonthalonius, Echinocactus polycephalus
-Epithelantha bokei, Epithelantha chihuahuaensis, Epithelantha ilariae, Epithelantha polycephala
-Escobaria leei
-Fouquieria fasciculata, Fouquieria purpusii
-Mammillaria crucigera, Mammillaria lenta, Mammillaria microthele, Mammillaria tlalocii
-Thelocactus phymatothelos
gave_agave
Offset

Post by gave_agave »

Those Dutch just keep exploring! As a Dutchy who lives in the UK and has lived in 7 countries on 4 continents, I'm quite content to have settled (somewhat) now. I'm noticing that jobs would really need to be attractive to even gain my attention to look at them, but moving for a new job has become a bigger and bigger obstacle.
Gafoto
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 7b

Post by Gafoto »

Sonoran Jackalope wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 9:05 am Congratulations on getting a new job and great opportunity! Bummer the plants can’t go!

I’m in the Phoenix area and I would be interested in these if you have any:
-Ariocarpus fissuratus
-Astrophytum coahuilense
-Aztekium of any kind
-Bursera microphylla
-Echinocactus horizonthalonius, Echinocactus polycephalus
-Epithelantha bokei, Epithelantha chihuahuaensis, Epithelantha ilariae, Epithelantha polycephala
-Escobaria leei
-Fouquieria fasciculata, Fouquieria purpusii
-Mammillaria crucigera, Mammillaria lenta, Mammillaria microthele, Mammillaria tlalocii
-Thelocactus phymatothelos
You should check out Miles2Go, he has several of the plants on your wishlist. Greg Starr also grows lovely Astrophytums.
Sonoran Jackalope
Bulbil

Post by Sonoran Jackalope »

Gafoto wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 9:04 am You should check out Miles2Go, he has several of the plants on your wishlist. Greg Starr also grows lovely Astrophytums.
Thank you Gafoto. I see them both regularly and have gotten some nice plants from both of them. I like to keep an eye out for local sales that may have bigger plants or unique individuals.
Also, always on the look out for more seed stock especially aztekiums and epithelantha bokei and unique echinocactus horizonthalonius. Both fouquieria on my list aren’t available often- most people who have them on their lists have sold out.
mcvansoest

Post by mcvansoest »

For anyone local, this is what went out to the CACSS yesterday. For people interested in some of the to be dug up plants I am welcoming them from 7.30 onwards.

I know it is late in the season, but I need to rehome my collection due to an upcoming move out of the country.
So I am inviting you this Sunday June 2nd for a cactus sale and give away. I was trying to be very organized about this, but reality has struck in the sense that there is too much to do and too little time to do it in. So apologies if this is a little hap hazard.

While a lot of plants have already been moved out there are still some nice plants and lots of smaller plants available. Some will need some TLC and may look a bit rough.

Most plants are in pots or have been dug up in the last week or two, but there are quite a few of them that still need to be dug up. A good number of them are Agaves and several good growing Aloes that have withstood the crazy summer heat of the last few years (so far).

Since it is hot I will happily entertain people who are interested in coming to dig up some of the plants early - please contact me at mcvansoest@mac.com or via text at 510-847-9510 to make arrangements.

For people coming for the plants and other items that are not in the ground please come between 10-5.

The address is:

2326 E Aspen Dr
Tempe AZ 85282

It is in the part of Tempe that is located east of the 101.

Thank you so much!

Thijs (Tice) van Soest

A rough overview of what is available:

Cactus:
The bulk consists of Echinopsis and associated hybrids, there are some named hybrids left, but there are also a large batch of smaller seed grown and random offsets from plants that I had.
There are some other random cacti mostly in 1 gallon pots or smaller, among others some Mammillarias, a random Gymnocalycium here and there.

There are a number of Trichocereus hybrids in the ground as well. I know the names of some. Named ones will be $30 unnamed ones $15.

Agaves/Mangaves:
A number of potted ones, most have IDs, but not all.

In the ground/recently dug up:

* Agave capensis - 1x - from east facing side yard - $10 (bare root)
* Agave delamateri - 2x - from east facing side yard - $30/15 (bare root) - LIKELY CLAIMED
* Agave yavapaiensis - 1x - not in great shape - $10 (bare root) - LIKELY CLAIMED
* Agave atrovirens - 1x - deep shade grown - still in ground free to who digs it up.
* Agave ovatifolia - 1x - east facing side yard - free (originally acquired from Starr nurseries)
* Agave macroacantha (blue) - multiple - east facing side yard - free
* Agave macroacantha (green - hybrid?) - multiple - east facing side yard, a little sun shy - free
* Agave ‘Mr. Ripple’ - one large plant/offsets - east facing side yard - still in ground free to who digs it up.
* Agave mapisaga var. Lisa - two offsets from my large plant that has been rehomed. East facing side yard in mostly shade $20/each.
* Agave verdensis - 1 nice sized plant grown in the shade of a tree - sees some sun most of the year but least in summer. Still in ground. $40 - LIKELY CLAIMED
* Agave avellanidens - 1 nice sized plant in the ground a number in pots - in the ground plant free to the digger. Potted ones $10/each
* Agave titanota - 1 clump in the ground, may or may not have a center line which would indicate some hybrid genes. $20.
* Agave sobria - 1 that is not flowering in front of a south facing wall. Gets toasty in summer but gets through. free.
* Variegated Agave murpheyi offsets and possibly the large parent plant - just not sure it is not going to bloom soon - in the ground. Offsets free, if the parent plant goes $30.
* There are two large Agave nickelsiaes one is certainly about to bloom the other appears to be fine. It is not really worth digging up an Agave that is about to flower, but given that it is an area where I have to mitigate some grass it will get removed by the landscaper that I am bringing in after people have been through to take what they want if it is still around. free.
* I have a NOID possible hybrid that came through me through a fried who got it from the DBG a long time ago. It was presented to him as from somewhere in north central AZ. Large parent plant and lots of offsets in the ground. It is a nice plant appears to want to sprawl a bit. (I feel it has some Mckelveyana genes, maybe some utahensis given the terminal spine, but given its size it probably needs something else in it. Chrysantha?).
* There are several other in the ground Agaves that I am probably going to be open to have people take, but would not be a disaster if they remained.

Aloes:
Assorted miniature/young ones in a variety of pots and hanging baskets - free.
Some larger in the ground plants that are available to whomever wants to dig them up - likely free.

Other:
I have a small Boojum tree in the ground if I look at it with a generous eye it just hit about 1 ft tall. It is very bushy though currently leafless. $40 - CLAIMED
My three Fouq’s are spoken for.

Non plant things:

multiple Two-level stepped display shelves, multiple shelves with a bar for hanging pots. $10/each.
A variety of mostly smaller ceramic and other non plastic pots
A variety of nursery pots - from seed starter trays, to small 4” square ones with trays to 5 gallon plus sized ones.

All nursery pots are free to the taker, most non plastic pots will likely be free as well.

One 13x13’ sturdy metal pergola frame that was part of my shade structure - $75 (this still needs to be deconstructed and will be available at a time to be determined with the buyer).

Some sheets of grommeted 50% or less shade cloth are still left as well. $10/each for the sheets that are in decent shape.

A variety of books on cacti and succulents - free to whomever wants any. - CLAIMED

I am sure I am forgetting things.
It is what it is!
Melt in the Sun
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 9b

Post by Melt in the Sun »

Best of luck Thijs - this saturday is my anniversary and my wife does not want to spend it helping me dig plants in Tempe :))
mcvansoest

Post by mcvansoest »

Melt in the Sun wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 1:38 pm Best of luck Thijs - this saturday is my anniversary and my wife does not want to spend it helping me dig plants in Tempe :))
Thanks! I postponed it twice... been too busy and did not want to conflict with major CACSS events... We need to get the yard in shape to put the house on the market so it was now or let the landscaper take out all but the largest landscape plants.

I will post if there is anything of note left - there might well be.

Happy anniversary!
It is what it is!