Ice plant ground cover advice please

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Delosperma, Faucaria, Lapidaria, Lithops, Oscularia, Pleiospilos and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
Viegener
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10b

Ice plant ground cover advice please

Post by Viegener »

I've been experimenting with different Aizoaceae ground covers, and really of the many I've tried I only like Cephalophyllum stayneri, Cephalophyllum frutescens var procumbens, & Melaphora crocea. All the others (the many attractive forms of Lampranthus) are really low shrubs, not what I'm thinking of as ground covers. Drosanthemum hispidum and Drosanthemum floribundum grow all over S CA, and though I like them, I want something more disctinctive. Another quality I am looking for is plants that hold down slopes, which I find to be pretty rare.

Any suggestions anyone?
Attachments
Melaphora crocea.jpeg
Melaphora crocea.jpeg (249.26 KiB) Viewed 6662 times
Cephalophyllum frutescens var. procumbens HBG Feb'21 copy.jpeg
Cephalophyllum frutescens var. procumbens HBG Feb'21 copy.jpeg (588.76 KiB) Viewed 6662 times
Cephalophyllum stayneri.jpeg
Cephalophyllum stayneri.jpeg (593.59 KiB) Viewed 6662 times
Xanthoria
Ready to Bolt

Re: Ice plant ground cover advice please

Post by Xanthoria »

Get yourself some aptenia. Then you'll be so busy cutting them back you won't have time to think about your slopes eroding... :?

J/k - what about delospermas?
Viegener
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 10b

Re: Ice plant ground cover advice please

Post by Viegener »

I've tried delosperma but they do not seem to like it in S CA. I think they want some winter chill. They did well for my father in Reno...