Looking for A. parryi and gracilipes

Use this forum to list your haves and wants. Commercial posts welcome. If you have some interesting offerings, we want to hear about it!

Moderator: Melt in the Sun

Fairview
Offset
USDA Zone: 8

Looking for A. parryi and gracilipes

Post by Fairview »

I have totally revamped my landscape and have one lonely agave - a havardiana. Looking to expand my garden with some interesting agaves. Need to be hardy to zone 7 at least. Got nothing to trade but can offer cash.

Frank
Mckinney, Texas. 30 Miles North of Dallas. What I'm trying to grow: A ovatifolia: whales tongue, frosty blue, vanzie, sharkskin, parrasana, montana, parryi JC Raulston, Bellville, Bluebell Giant, havardiana, polianthiflora, parviflora, havardiana x neomexicana
Fairview
Offset

Re: Looking for A. parryi and gracilipes

Post by Fairview »

Also Y. pallida and glauca.
Mckinney, Texas. 30 Miles North of Dallas. What I'm trying to grow: A ovatifolia: whales tongue, frosty blue, vanzie, sharkskin, parrasana, montana, parryi JC Raulston, Bellville, Bluebell Giant, havardiana, polianthiflora, parviflora, havardiana x neomexicana
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8B

Post by Meangreen94z »

I have seed of Yucca pallida and Agave gracilipes. Cold hardy cactus sells small forms: https://coldhardycactus.com/collections/agave
If you are in the eastern half of the Texas I would recommend tracking down the ‘JC Raulston form’ of Agave parryi over the Arizona species sold on that website. They like it dry. That or try this form:
https://hiddenagave.com/collections/spe ... anthiflora

I lost both Agave parryi var. parryi and Agave parryi var. truncata(although others survived locally) in 12°F last December. Agave parryi ‘Cumbres de Majalca’ didn’t even burn.

Cold hardy has Yucca glauca
https://coldhardycactus.com/products/yu009-yucca-glauca
Austin, Texas
Gafoto
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 7b

Post by Gafoto »

Meangreen94z wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:25 am I lost both Agave parryi var. parryi and Agave parryi var. truncata(although others survived locally) in 12°F last December. Agave parryi ‘Cumbres de Majalca’ didn’t even burn.
I have one of those parryi from Jeremy, excited to put it in the ground soon. Good news about it surviving those temps! The parryi seem to be hit and miss with hardiness depending on elevation and locale.

Mean, was your parryi var truncata a Huntington clone? Mine also croaked in that temp range although I believe PDN had more luck with some seed grown varietals.
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt

Post by Meangreen94z »

Gafoto wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 6:48 am
Meangreen94z wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:25 am I lost both Agave parryi var. parryi and Agave parryi var. truncata(although others survived locally) in 12°F last December. Agave parryi ‘Cumbres de Majalca’ didn’t even burn.
I have one of those parryi from Jeremy, excited to put it in the ground soon. Good news about it surviving those temps! The parryi seem to be hit and miss with hardiness depending on elevation and locale.

Mean, was your parryi var truncata a Huntington clone? Mine also croaked in that temp range although I believe PDN had more luck with some seed grown varietals.
I had collected offsets from a local restaurant. When I went back, the only one that made it through was the largest 2-3 foot specimen in their landscaping. I found several in an apartment landscape behind my job that didn’t seem to take much damage and collected more offsets from there to test. Var. truncata are definitely one to consider but if Fairview is looking for only one Agave, I would go with “JC Raulston”. It seems to be the safest all around bet.
Austin, Texas
Fairview
Offset

Post by Fairview »

Meangreen94z wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:03 am

I had collected offsets from a local restaurant. When I went back, the only one that made it through was the largest 2-3 foot specimen in their landscaping. I found several in an apartment landscape behind my job that didn’t seem to take much damage and collected more offsets from there to test. Var. truncata are definitely one to consider but if Fairview is looking for only one Agave, I would go with “JC Raulston”. It seems to be the safest all around bet.
I did a search for JC Raulston and found several vendors. There really is no way to know if it is one or not is there? Luck of the draw and the vendor's integrity.
Meangreen94z
Ready to Bolt

Post by Meangreen94z »

Fairview wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:40 pm
Meangreen94z wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 9:03 am

I did a search for JC Raulston and found several vendors. There really is no way to know if it is one or not is there? Luck of the draw and the vendor's integrity.
Plant Delight Nursery is definitely accurate, they originally propagated it, but their shipping policy forces you to buy more than one plant. These guys should be accurate as well
https://littleprinceplants.com/our-plan ... ury-plant/
Austin, Texas