Most underpotted?

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Agave, Beschorneria, Furcraea, Hesperaloe, Hesperoyucca, Manfreda, Polianthes, Yucca and related species. This is where one posts unknown plant photos for ID help.
Gee.S
Site Admin
USDA Zone: 9b

Most underpotted?

Post by Gee.S »

Here is my official entry. Will be in ground shortly. And yes, that is a small container full of agaves.

underpot.jpg
underpot.jpg (432.87 KiB) Viewed 529 times
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

"Some talk the talk, others walk the walk, but I stalk the stalk"
Gee.S
Site Admin

Re: Most underpotted?

Post by Gee.S »

And now in the ground, into a spot where there is almost no sun. Whatever this crazy agave really is, it reacts to sun about as well as the wicked witch of the west reacts to water.

And the beauty is, it offsets so much, I'll have my potted version back before the end of the year. LOL

under2.jpg
under2.jpg (579.51 KiB) Viewed 518 times
Agave
"American aloe plant," 1797, from Greek Agaue, proper name in mythology (mother of Pentheus), from agauos "noble," perhaps from agasthai "wonder at".

Bananaguy
Ready to Bolt

Post by Bananaguy »

Odd looking. Almost looks like a yucca and mangave. But it is cool!
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

Marketed by PD as funkiana, but I suspect difformis.
Agave

Fairview
Offset
USDA Zone: 8

Post by Fairview »

My funkiana sent rhizomes in-between my concrete retaining wall blocks. Had a wall of them . Mine liked the sun. Came out of the Texas single digits 2021 artic blast unscathed.
Mckinney, Texas. 30 Miles North of Dallas. What I'm trying to grow: A ovatifolia: whales tongue, frosty blue, vanzie, sharkskin, parrasana, montana, parryi JC Raulston, Bellville, Bluebell Giant, havardiana, polianthiflora, parviflora, havardiana x neomexicana
Gafoto
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 7b

Post by Gafoto »

Fairview wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:00 pm My funkiana sent rhizomes in-between my concrete retaining wall blocks. Had a wall of them . Mine liked the sun. Came out of the Texas single digits 2021 artic blast unscathed.
I’m a little hesitant to call it yet but funkiana has actually done better than lophantha here this winter. Got completely buried in snow which the lophantha did not care for and started rotting. ‘Quadricolor’ did ok under a roof edge so it’s more the moisture than the cold I think. Only got to 11 so a fairly mild winter here.
nsp88
Ready to Bolt
USDA Zone: 8a

Post by nsp88 »

Gafoto wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:01 pm I’m a little hesitant to call it yet but funkiana has actually done better than lophantha here this winter. Got completely buried in snow which the lophantha did not care for and started rotting.
I put funkiana from abborean out in the field really late in the season (mid-November I think), and was afraid they would suffer from the late planting. They did better than everything else in the field except for my two biggest havardiana that I got from my neighbor. They did better than my parryis and some of my other havardianas. Those others weren't super established, but were still in the ground for almost two more months than the funkiana. Only one funkiana took damage, and it wasn't much.
Papahuel
Offset

Post by Papahuel »

I definitely have one for this thread, may be a few days before I can take a pic, it's at a family members house.

A cupreata that is in a 7 gal pot, I put it down the back of the yard "in the jungle" meaning to put it in the ground but totally forgot, by the time I remembered it had virtually hidden the pot and buried it's roots way into the ground, and that was years ago :)
JoyinAlb
Bulbil

Post by JoyinAlb »

Gee.S wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:40 pm And now in the ground, into a spot where there is almost no sun. Whatever this crazy agave really is, it reacts to sun about as well as the wicked witch of the west reacts to water.

And the beauty is, it offsets so much, I'll have my potted version back before the end of the year. LOL

under2.jpg
It’s pretty, whatever it is.
abborean
Ready to Bolt

Post by abborean »

Gee.S wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:46 pm Marketed by PD as funkiana, but I suspect difformis.
What is the cultivar name?
Gee.S
Site Admin

Post by Gee.S »

abborean wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:34 am
Gee.S wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:46 pm Marketed by PD as funkiana, but I suspect difformis.
What is the cultivar name?
Just looked now. They changed the name (they don't know what it is), and now call it Agave albomarginata 'Hakuro Shiro Fukurin'. I'll admit, it's a better fit than funkiana. Leaves on mine are about twice as long as PD suggests.
Agave

Gafoto
Ready to Bolt

Post by Gafoto »

This Agave montana has been living under lights this winter and goes in the ground in a couple weeks. Amazing how happy it is in this pot.
IMG_4535.jpeg
IMG_4535.jpeg (816.19 KiB) Viewed 341 times
Papahuel
Offset

Post by Papahuel »

Papahuel wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:33 pm I definitely have one for this thread, may be a few days before I can take a pic, it's at a family members house.

A cupreata that is in a 7 gal pot, I put it down the back of the yard "in the jungle" meaning to put it in the ground but totally forgot, by the time I remembered it had virtually hidden the pot and buried it's roots way into the ground, and that was years ago :)
Here it is a couple of the cupreata I have, one on left is in 7 gal pot, one on right is same age from same seed in ground. The one in the pot with no weed competition and being up closer to sun has helped it grow bigger I'm guessing, it's going to stay there now I think.
cupreata in pot.jpg
cupreata in pot.jpg (505.89 KiB) Viewed 280 times
ccm2000
Seedling

Post by ccm2000 »

This ovatifolia is definitely my contender. The poor thing’s been in the same pot for a good 5 years now but it’s finally getting planted soon.
IMG_0672.jpeg
IMG_0672.jpeg (592.57 KiB) Viewed 271 times
Gafoto
Ready to Bolt

Post by Gafoto »

I think @Papahuel cupreata may take the cake. Can’t even see the pot!

Mister Ripple packed on the pounds this winter:
IMG_4551.jpeg
IMG_4551.jpeg (604.85 KiB) Viewed 234 times
He also has an offset peaking out of the drainage hole which means I’ll probably end up bloody trying to get the pot off.