Which Dasylirion

Use this forum to discuss matters relating to Beaucarnea, Calibanus, Cordyline, Dasylirion, Dracaena, Nolina, Sansevieria and related species.

Moderator: Spination

gdlwyverex
Ready to Bolt

Which Dasylirion

Post by gdlwyverex »

Just got this one to day. It doesn´t resemble any of the sotols that I laready have.
Full.jpg
Full.jpg (266.59 KiB) Viewed 302 times
Crown.jpg
Crown.jpg (215.93 KiB) Viewed 302 times
Leaf.jpg
Leaf.jpg (140.8 KiB) Viewed 302 times
Note my hand for scale
Caudex.jpg
Caudex.jpg (202.89 KiB) Viewed 302 times
Any ideas as to which dasilirion this might be. No tufts at leaf tips.

Thanks

Richard
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Re: Which Dasylirion

Post by Paul S »

The glaucous blue leaves reduces the number of suspects, lack of tuft eliminates others like berlandieri. Possibly wheeleri or one of the glaucous forms of cedrosanum.
gdlwyverex
Ready to Bolt

Post by gdlwyverex »

Paul S wrote: Sun May 05, 2024 11:39 pm The glaucous blue leaves reduces the number of suspects, lack of tuft eliminates others like berlandieri. Possibly wheeleri or one of the glaucous forms of cedrosanum.
All of my D. Wheeleri have tufted leaves, however D. cedrosanum is a definate possibility.
Thanks

Richard
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

If all your Dasylirion wheeleri have tufted tips I would be inclined to suggest they are mislabelled. To the best of my knowledge, the tip just dies off blunt.
gdlwyverex
Ready to Bolt

Post by gdlwyverex »

Paul S wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 10:06 am If all your Dasylirion wheeleri have tufted tips I would be inclined to suggest they are mislabelled. To the best of my knowledge, the tip just dies off blunt.
In that case mine are labeled incorrectly. Here are photos of them
IMG_20240506_140044.jpg
IMG_20240506_140044.jpg (135.62 KiB) Viewed 261 times
IMG_20240506_135808.jpg
IMG_20240506_135808.jpg (206.93 KiB) Viewed 261 times
DasylirionCedrosanum.jpg
DasylirionCedrosanum.jpg (190.99 KiB) Viewed 252 times
Any ideas as to their IDs. These are VERY common here in Mexico. They are sold everywhere.

Thanks

Richard
Paul S
Ready to Bolt

Post by Paul S »

Like many plants it is easier to say what it isn't than what it is and that is 100% not wheeleri. Beyond that the only thing it is possible to say with any confidence is it is a green one with teeth and tufts. My money would be on D. acrotrichum, which is found across most of central Mexico, or a hybrid of it. Although having said that the teeth don't look quite right and the leaves look a bit too pliable, but that could just be growing conditions. Stick with a green one with teeth and tufts and you won't be wrong.
gdlwyverex
Ready to Bolt

Post by gdlwyverex »

Paul S wrote: Mon May 06, 2024 11:55 pm Like many plants it is easier to say what it isn't than what it is and that is 100% not wheeleri. Beyond that the only thing it is possible to say with any confidence is it is a green one with teeth and tufts. My money would be on D. acrotrichum, which is found across most of central Mexico, or a hybrid of it. Although having said that the teeth don't look quite right and the leaves look a bit too pliable, but that could just be growing conditions. Stick with a green one with teeth and tufts and you won't be wrong.
Thank you

Richard